• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking TC'S smokin' WSM adventures

I bought  the 18" WSM last July after seeing some of the incredible stuff being smoked by other members.  I plan to use it a lot more this summer and will try to post updates as I try different meats.

The weather finally broke here and I decided to try a couple of things for the first time.  I smoked a 3 lb boneless turkey breast & some wings.  I would love some tips or tricks if you have any.

IMG_4921.JPG

IMG_4924.JPG

The turkey breast took 3 hours @ a range of 230-250F.  I did not attempt a brine, just rubbed it with some leftover rub I had.

IMG_4926.JPG

IMG_4928.JPG

The wings were on for 3 hours @ a range of 230-250F as well.  They were brined overnight in teriyaki sauce, brown sugar, scallions, thai basil and ginger (no heat..my daughter was eating as well).  I reserved some of the sauce and thickened it up and coated the wings with it.

I used cherry wood for this smoke.  

looks great ... wings look really, REALLY nice ...

there's a good chance the turkey was brined previously? - they do it to improve outcome, but mostly to sell water weight!

LOL

(wait were u serious?)

It's just smoke dudeeeeeee... from woodddddd

I have a bag, but I am afraid to use it. Daughter has a nut allergy and until her allergist gives us the ok, I will hold off.

good call. nut and latex allergies can come into play at almost homeopathic levels ...

The Hot Pepper said:
LOL
(wait were u serious?)
It's just smoke dudeeeeeee... from woodddddd
I feel the same, but rather be safe than sorry. Just not worth the dangers if it effects her, the smoke or from eating the food.

I will be firing up the WSM tomorrow while I am putting all of my pepper plants into their new home.

IMG_4974.JPG

Three different types of wings, because there are only three of us and it would be too easy if we all liked the same thing.  

1. Homemade BBQ sauce
  2. Buddy's Jerk sauce
  3. Teriyaki sauce

IMG_4978.JPG

IMG_4979.JPG

An 11 pound hunk of pork.  The pork will be for meal late in the week.

Back