• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting ideas for ferment

Cream Fatalii, Dong Xuan Viet Market, Inca Red
Drop, Rain Forest, Trinidad Perfume, Seasoning Pepper, Brazilian Starfish, and CGN 21500

These are what I will have to work with pretty soon.... All from a sfrb auction from wicked mike.... Haven't had any of them before....
My ferment experience has mostly been cut up orange habs, toss in a jar with garlic and some carrot, add a bit of agave nectar and top with salt and water and let it go.... Looking for something simple still, but a bit more complicated.... I do extremely small batches, I'm the only one who likes the heat....

Any suggestions on combinations of pods to use?

aqJF2mO.jpg

Gonna throw in some carrot and onion and apple, I think.... Garlic to go in after it ferments....

Okay, so here's the rundown:

Trinidad Perfume is in the ~1.5% of C. chinense varieties that is sweet rather than hot. Although I've heard of others growing them out with a very mild hint of heat, I've yet to taste any that did. That said, I haven't tried any of the ones from the new plants.

"Seasoning Pepper" is kind of a catch-all term. Which seasoning pepper? From where? St. Lucia? Grenada? Trinidad? The ones you have were grown out from seeds I got in a trade that were just labeled "Seasoning Pepper." Having eaten them, they're hot, but nowhere near as hot as they look. I have plants to start a ferment from them myself. Real nice flavor.

Inca Red Drop, Brazilian Starfish, and Dong Xuan Vietnam Market are mild baccatums with great flavor. The Dong Xuan seems to be fairly rare. I really like them a lot. The little bit I've been able to find about them online suggests several different heat ranges, but they strike me as being somewhere around 5,000 SHUs. Rain Forest is another baccatum that's hotter but not crazy hot. I've noticed a distinct variation in heat level depending on which part of the pod you eat.

CGN 21500 is pretty hot, but has a really good flavor.

Compared to the other box I auctioned at the same time, I tried to make this one mostly peppers that are good for eating fresh, but there's no reason not to ferment them. If it were me, I'd probably use all but the Cream Fatalii for the ferment, but that's just me.

Hope that helps, and thanks again for supporting what we're doing.

Hoping to get this going today....

Trying to expand a bit with flavors and heat levels, I've always went with good enough for me and too hot for family and non-THP people.... And for some odd reason, I prefer the taste of sauces and powders over fresh pods....
Took out the fatali cream pods out of the mix and tossed in more of the cgn 21500. I also have some dried pequins I'm thinking of tossing in.

Tossed in a few baby carrots, a handful of dried pequins and some dried onion.... From the first picture of the pods, I swapped out the cream fatalis for some more Trinidad perfume and cgn 21500.
Didn't measure out the salt, but it was a tbsp, give or take a little.... Topped it with water and let it sit uncovered overnight.... Gave it another stir this morning before covering it up....
Bad practice probably, but I'm planning on adding in a chunk of cantaloupe later today and scooping out the seeds floating if they're still at the top today.... Then it'll go in a cabinet to work its magic for a few weeks....

rhm3769 said:
Tossed in a few baby carrots, a handful of dried pequins and some dried onion.... From the first picture of the pods, I swapped out the cream fatalis for some more Trinidad perfume and cgn 21500.
Didn't measure out the salt, but it was a tbsp, give or take a little.... Topped it with water and let it sit uncovered overnight.... Gave it another stir this morning before covering it up....
Bad practice probably, but I'm planning on adding in a chunk of cantaloupe later today and scooping out the seeds floating if they're still at the top today.... Then it'll go in a cabinet to work its magic for a few weeks....
Do not open ferments ever!!!! You destroy the environment by adding oxygen very bad. Don't worry about seeds and save melon for finished processing. Or use in another ferment. Opening jar is definitely not a good idea my friend. What kind of lab is in there? Otherwise looks great.

It hasn't even been in the jar for more than 12 hours.
I go natural, don't add anything as a starter.
I don't use air locks either and tend to open them about once every two weeks and add in more agave nectar as my ferments tend to go slow, and no issues yet.... I know it'll catch up to me at some point, though....

Probably need to invest in some airlocks soon.... So much action.... I tightened the lid last night, this morning I couldn't even pop the top down....
Might just let this one run for a month instead of "indefinitely"

Maybe I've always masked it with adding garlic pre-fermentation, but during both times today I've had to vent the jar, there's a hint of what I can only describe as a slightly burnt popcorn smell under the scent I remember from past ferments. I see nothing growing on the top and tons of bubbles still.... Is that normal? I put in more carrot than I normally do, as well....

visible bubbles and off gassing, no visible mold - sounds ok.  any different ingredients other than extra carrot?  maybe the dried onion?

Maybe more onion, as well.... I never measure.... It came to me last night, just woke up in the middle of the night and remembered I used some dried pequins and the smell of those is the difference in the fermentation smell....

Will be processing this over the next week, bubbling seems to have stopped....

Blend, simmer for a bit, add in some vinegar, lime juice and garlic, blend again and possibly simmer a bit more to thicken is the plan....

Back