• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Carolina Reaper Seedling's Leaves Turning Black

23mkcwy.jpg

This is one of three reaper plants that are turning black. I got the seeds from Ed Currie. The soil is FoxFarm Ocean Forest. Is this darkening of the leaves normal? Other peppers that aren't reapers I have that are in the same soil are not doing this. 

Can not tell from the photo, but would guess they are too close to the light.
Possibly getting over heated/burned.

No idea what light source you may have or duration.

I'm using a 6 bulb t8 fixture 14 inches above the plants with an 18/6 cycle. The temp stays at about 70 in the day and goes down to about 60 at night. The darkening is also starting to happen to some of my other small peppers.

If you can take a close up clear shot of the top and undersides of the leaves. Look for some sort of magnification, and look real close for pests. I personally think its fungus, but that is usually brought on by the secretions of other pests. Might need to get neem oil, copper, or whatever you personally prefer if its both. How much water are you giving them? Looks like you might be over watering them a bit.

Got some better pics. 

2a9a3df.jpg
2nk28lw.jpg

I don't have a specific watering schedule. I try to let the plants dry out but sometimes I water to often. The pictures I posted today are from two days after the first one and it's been fairly dry since then.

I think it's just suntan. (Not to be confused with sunburn, which is a sudden bleaching and killing of tissue.) It's just an increase of anthocyanin (sunblock) production.
     Reapers get that occasionally. They tend to produce more anthocyanins than other varieties. Not as dark as some varieties, but mine have always had purple stems and darker than average foliage.

edit:   Are those veins in the pics turning purplish black (like a purple jalapeño), or are they turning a brownish, dead tissue kind of black?

Jalabenjo said:

I try to let the plants dry out but sometimes I water to often. 

Don't over water. If your problem is fungal, that will kill them for sure. Check the soil by weight before watering. 

Looks like I might have been wrong, and Hybrid mode is probably correct. From a better shot it does look like it is just the plants genetics.

Yes, it definitely just looks like plant genetics producing those colors. Looks good, I particularly like the coloring on the stems. Looks healthy in these shots.

Ove just uploades pictures showing the exact same thing. The plants looked healthy except for a tiny sunburn mark, and then they were getting this dark purplish tint that looked like anthocyanins pigment. So I guess CR must have a c. Annuum somewhere in its heritage.

Back