• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone dislike these? CARDI, Bonda Ma Jacques, Madam Jeanette, Bahamian Goat Pepper

I read a thread here asking if anyone disliked the Fatalii [yellow]. The question was posed to contrast with the generally accepted notion that Fatalii is a chilihead favorite. A surprising amount of people chimed in expressing either indifference or disappointment in that pepper.

So I am creating this thread in that fashion. After reading so many threads here I have typically only heard good things about the following peppers. So I am genuinely curious how many of you either dislike their flavor or were generally unimpressed with them.

Trinidad Scorpion CARDI.
Bahamian Goat Pepper.
Madame Jeanette.
Bonda Ma Jacques.

I have no thoughts of my own. I am growing all these varieties but have never tasted them!

Thanks in advance for any feedback! :)

Yellowfin2na said:
I absolutely despise with passion the orange habanero now.

+10. I can't for the life of me figure out why those gross little things sell.

Zip, I can all but guarantee you'll like your CARDIs. I can't imagine someone hating one of those. Very flavorful, good heat, beautiful pods and plant, prolific, strong, robust plant... What's not to like?!

edit: Seriously. Why aren't red habs more popular than those disgusting orange ones?!

I have had all of them except for Madame Jeanette.  The other 3 are all great.  Relatively mild these days but great peppers all 3 of them.  I cant imagine many people having problems with them.  I wanted to grow madame jeanette this year but never got the seeds.  Hopefully next year.

jcw10tc said:
I have had all of them except for Madame Jeanette.  The other 3 are all great.  Relatively mild these days but great peppers all 3 of them.  I cant imagine many people having problems with them.  I wanted to grow madame jeanette this year but never got the seeds.  Hopefully next year.
Madame Jeanette seeds are at the top of my short "want" list. ...and I've looked around. I'm sure they'll turn up in the next 8 months or so.

coachspencerxc said:
Madame Jeanette seeds are at the top of my short "want" list. ...and I've looked around. I'm sure they'll turn up in the next 8 months or so.
I have a source, if I don't have any free ones soon, plant to order for next year.  Have the money now, tend to be broke around christmas time so might order in the next month, if I do, I will send you a few.

jcw10tc said:
I have a source, if I don't have any free ones soon, plant to order for next year.  Have the money now, tend to be broke around christmas time so might order in the next month, if I do, I will send you a few.
Yeah? 2-4 seeds would be fantastic.

I'm growing all the others in the OP but have only tasted Bahamian Goat. jcw10tc, when I close my eyes at night, I see basically your profile icon & I'm growing everything similar I can get my hands on- CARDI Yellow, Yellow Moruga, Yellow Primo, Yellow Butch T, Yellow 7 Pot, Yellow Brain Strain... some yellow crosses... I think I've got the yellow superhot category covered. :)

coachspencerxc said:
Yeah? 2-4 seeds would be fantastic.

I'm growing all the others in the OP but have only tasted Bahamian Goat. jcw10tc, when I close my eyes at night, I see basically your profile icon & I'm growing everything similar I can get my hands on- CARDI Yellow, Yellow Moruga, Yellow Primo, Yellow Butch T, Yellow 7 Pot, Yellow Brain Strain... some yellow crosses... I think I've got the yellow superhot category covered. :)
Until last year I never cared for yellow hots.  All I had had were golden hab, fatalii and amazon sun I think. They all had the same aftertaste that I did not care for.  Then last year first one to ripen was yellow moruga, and it was love at first taste.  Then yellow brain strain came along and was just as good.  Yellow cardi was very good also, a lot less heat though.  And bonda ma jacques was also great.  I have a lot more yellows this year to try, hoping they are all great as well.

I have extra Brain Strain Yellow, CARDI, and Goronong seeds. Goronong is yellow-orange with a funky shape kinda like the Peter Peppers. I checked to see if I had any spare Madame Jeanette seeds. Alas I am all out. More than willing to share the ones I have though.

My very favorite tasting pepper is the bishops crown.

Also think I have extra Bishops Crown and Brazilian Starfish. I know I have extra Aji Limon to carry with the yellow theme.

Spicy Mushroom said:
I have extra Brain Strain Yellow, CARDI, and Goronong seeds. Goronong is yellow-orange with a funky shape kinda like the Peter Peppers. I checked to see if I had any spare Madame Jeanette seeds. Alas I am all out. More than willing to share the ones I have though.

Also think I have extra Bishops Crown and Brazilian Starfish. I know I have extra Aji Limon to carry with the yellow theme.
After reading your first post closer, last time I had fatalii yellow was probably close to 10 years ago.  At that time, I did not particularly care for it.  The 3 I mentioned above were all great.  I did not care much for goronong.  The flavor was nothing special, but the pod shapes were so twisted and had so much stitching it just was not apealing. 

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Zip, I can all but guarantee you'll like your CARDIs. I can't imagine someone hating one of those. Very flavorful, good heat, beautiful pods and plant, prolific, strong, robust plant... What's not to like?!

edit: Seriously. Why aren't red habs more popular than those disgusting orange ones?!
The orange habs are on every seed rack I find, right next to the tomatos and cucumbers. It was the first hot pepper I grew and still do but I have to admit they lost the best spots in my yard to Fatalii's and Brainstrains. Back to the OP, haven't tasted any of the ones mentioned yet. But I'll get there soon enough.
SavinaRed said:
The Orange hab makes a great hot sauce. I'm not big on eating them raw but in a sauce they are very good.
My very favorite tasting pepper is the bishops crown.
Also taste over a million scovilles is very subjective in my humble opinion
Sorry about hijacking the post again but just gotta say I tasted my first Bishops Crown today and it was delicious. Funny how there's zero heat in the flesh and a lingering bite around the seeds.

Hawaiianero said:
The orange habs are on every seed rack I find, right next to the tomatos and cucumbers. It was the first hot pepper I grew and still do but I have to admit they lost the best spots in my yard to Fatalii's and Brainstrains. Back to the OP, haven't tasted any of the ones mentioned yet. But I'll get there soon enough.

Sorry about hijacking the post again but just gotta say I tasted my first Bishops Crown today and it was delicious. Funny how there's zero heat in the flesh and a lingering bite around the seeds.
yes the middle has a nice little bite to it lol.

Every time I see a thread asking a question like this, I just  :rolleyes: . At one point when my kids were young, they started saying that they couldn't stand eggplant. I couldn't understand where this had come from, as I had not yet fixed eggplant for them. I asked them if they had tried eggplant somewhere, to which they replied "no". I then asked them how they could possibly say they didn't like something they had never tried, and they said "we just don't - it's gross." So one day when we went to a restaurant I ordered eggplant parmisiana but they did not hear what I ordered. When it arrived they asked what it was and I simply cut off some bite-sized pieces and gave them to the kids to try. They tried it and said they really liked it, at which I told them it was eggplant. Then they started saying "gross!" Uh huh - they were letting their opinion of something be influenced by the responses of others. Why do you care what other people like or dislike? We all have different tastes and you will find out soon enough on your own whether you like these four. You should never let the taste experiences of others color your own experience - try them and decide for yourself.

That said, I hope you have a very productive grow season and that you find you like all four varieties that you are growing!

You might have misunderstood my intent. I wasn't assuming I wouldn't like eggplant, nor was I discouraged from trying eggplant.

It was genuine curiosity. A result of reading that fatalii thread. That thread really peaked my interest.

I'm quite excited about growing these varieties. I picked them specifically because of good things I had heard about them on this forum. Yet I had also heard many good things about the fatalii. I was just curious to see if there was in fact any mixed feelings towards these particular varieties. Potentially learning about those mixed feelings wasn't however going to deter me from growing them in any way. Still gonna eat that eggplant.

They are growing and I'm very much looking forward to cooking with them and sharing them with friends :)

Love the Bonda ma Jacques.  They were on my first plant out when I picked the hot peppers only by name, not knowing what they looked like or even tasted like.  Red Brain Strain was the favorite for names, and then we all tasted a green and then a red one.  Whew!

This year I'm growing mostly jolokias for the flavor, with many others in pots.  It's so nice to have this great community of generous growers that will help/share at the drop of a hat. 

Yellowfin2na said:
... but I can tell you I absolutely despise with passion the orange habanero now.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Why aren't red habs more popular than those disgusting orange ones?!

Have not had any of the peppers on your list, but damn if I don't hate the taste of an orange habanero as well!  :snooty:

Back