• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Need help with mites! :(

Hi all,

I have a serious mite infestation. Think they're spider mites based on the minute threads of webbing on and around plants.

Tried dr earth oil based spray and it didn't work. Contains garlic oil, thyme oil, and a slew of other oils. Burned the leaves and mites still doing damage.

Suggestions please?

Thank you.

jointeffort said:
Every time I tried ladybugs, they just flew away within an hour or two.

How do you get them to stay?

Release them in the evening. They don't fly at night. Also take 1/2 cola and 1/2 water and put into a spray bottle. Mist the ladybugs with it and let it dry. The sugar in the cola seals their wings shut and should last a few days. During this time they will hopefully mate and lay eggs. The larvae are the power eaters.

Spray wise pyrethrin might work. You can even buy foggers if you need to be that extreme. Azamax is supposed to be good as well. I've never had to deal with mites so don't have any first hand experience only things I've read

jointeffort said:
Is that an oil based spray? I'm hesitant to use oil base since the dr earth oil spray burned the leaves.

Thanks for this. I'll try it out also.
no , i used it when i had fungus gnats last year cause i got lazy and didn't microwave some of my growing medium . but that won't happen again . works for fungus, mites etc. a little pricy at 22.00 a bottle , but good stuff ! 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-ml-avid-miticide-makes-6-gallons-of-spray-abamectin-more-than-1x-use-/271837108915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4ac11ab3

6ml. enough to make like... 3 gallons.

DO NOT BUY A QUART.

lol a quart sprays like 2 acres of lemon trees...

That's super helpful. Thank you for the link!
no , i used it when i had fungus gnats last year cause i got lazy and didn't microwave some of my growing medium . but that won't happen again . works for fungus, mites etc. a little pricy at 22.00 a bottle , but good stuff ! 

Microwave your soil? Never heard of that.

yep , ol' veteran grower friend of mine taught me this .      :onfire:

Crazy! And that doesn't kill the nutrients or good bacteria?

Please tell me the recipe. How much soil and for how long?

Equate Lice and Bedding spray also comes in a solution form
I prefer the spray as it allows for drifting of the fog,doesnt take much,dont have to get every leaf or stem
Its a no BS nuke to all pest around your plants
Residual kill last about a week give or take,I still retreat after 7 days to cover the over lap for potential reproduction cycles(commonly 11 days)
The knock down is almost instant,this aint no BS witch brew found on the internet
Ive used this stuff in my reptile rescue efforts when animals come in with much nastier strain of mites and it nukes them real good
Its C H E A P !

TNKS said:
Equate Lice and Bedding spray also comes in a solution form
I prefer the spray as it allows for drifting of the fog,doesnt take much,dont have to get every leaf or stem
Its a no BS nuke to all pest around your plants
Residual kill last about a week give or take,I still retreat after 7 days to cover the over lap for potential reproduction cycles(commonly 11 days)
The knock down is almost instant,this aint no BS witch brew found on the internet
Ive used this stuff in my reptile rescue efforts when animals come in with much nastier strain of mites and it nukes them real good
Its C H E A P !
It doesn't burn the plants? What about when there's pods on the plants? 

You need your pest problem well under control by fruiting time
I havent had and issue with hit hurting the plants,I spray with the wind and let it find its own way
I do spray a parameter area around the plants as well
If you do foliar feeding it will wash the plants and pods after a few feedings,

I'm fighting mites as well. They did some serious damage this year. i rinse  infected plants and squish tchem by hand but thats pointless. Larvae are still in the soil i think.

Back