• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Only 100 People in the world can eat Carolina Reapers?

“There are only about 100 people in the world who can and do eat these on a regular basis, and the rest of the world cannot and should not try,” - Ed Currie speaking of the Carolina Reaper.

If he is speaking of fresh whole pods, I do not count myself as one of those 100.  I do love the Carolina Reaper but mostly I cook with it.  I do eat super hots on a regular basis, but there are so many to choose from that I can not say I stick with one on a regular basis.  Just yesterday, I had some dried reaper pods in my spaghetti sauce.  Tonight, my wife cooked so I put some 7 pot puree on the french bread pizza she made me.  Nigh befoe last, stir fry with some frozen Butch T.  I think I could eat Carolina Reaper on a regular basis, but there are so many other great peppers out there.

How about you?  Does that 100 people in the world statement seem a bit over the top?

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/38/17/24-hot-peppers-hot-sauce-expo-2015-04-27-bk.html

Edit note 5/1/2015 - Somewhere in this thread someone said I upset Ed Currie by misquoting him.  The post always had the link to the news article that quoted him.  The link was in the default font same as the post.  But since Ed Currie and others seem to have missed it, I figured I would come edit the thing, change the link to bold and increase the font.

Not trying to piss on anyone's parade.  Just saw a cool article and posted it to this discussion forum.

“There are only about 100 people in the world who can and do eat these on a regular basis, and the rest of the world cannot and should not try,

How did he make that assessment? O_o I can't imagine even with an extensive survey / polling could one justifiably make this claim with any literalness.

I do think it's a good idea that most of the World not try one out of the blue lol. That's surely far an above most peoples thresholds. Got to work on that tolerance first.

As for myself the hottest I have eaten fresh off the vine and into my mouth is a Caribbean Red. I'll push the envelope this summer. I do cook with superhots. Right now that's exclusively Trinidad Scorpions as it's all I have.

When they are available I definitely have them on a regular basis. Like twice or more daily. I don't think I am anything special. That number of less than 100 people that can chow down on them regularly seems a little less than scientific.

More sales crap I'd think.
MOST of the Reapers I've tasted weren't hotter than a LOT of other stuff.
I also don't eat supers by themselves - I'm not a Masochist.

Yes Reapers taste WAY better than some other super hots.
BUT not as hot most times.

But the red Briain strains I've tasted were A LOT hotter BUT tasted nasty like the original Butch T's (From Butch Taylor YEARS before the record was set).
They were like Battery acid in taste.

Promo's easily were hotter as far as I can tell.
Might depend on growing conditions and most probably on the test used.

A lot of the Douglahs and Premo stuff is as hot or hotter than the reapers I've tried too.

I think most new stuff that sets records are 1 trick ponies.

I read ED is supposed to be a nice guy.
BUT I'll never trust him after using Joe as his sales choice.
Birds of the feather...

He knew what was going on.
Though he denies it from what I read.

But still laughed all the way to the bank.

Screw him and his B.S. about Cancer research.
He is into making $ period.
The Cancer stuff so far only works when Cancer cells are directly injected into Cancer cells.
Eating Peppers is a total different thing.

I just got through Chemo from Lymphoma B stage 3 (20% cure rate at 60 yr, old).
I've eaten peppers every day since about 2004,
Supers since 2005.

Like other Vendors,$ is what rules.
More $ by making the customer think their purchase will add to research sells more product.
Saying you contribute to whatever means little.
1 cent out of $100.00 or whatever is sales crap.
All they say is they are into whatever to sell seeds and product as far as I'm concerned.
Ed IS an EX Bank guy.
Figure it out...

IMO a totally over-rated thing.  Best for frat parties and douche bags to show off - with a bit of fake Jackass barfing thrown in for "viewer value".

I concur with smokemaster - Red BrainStrain is to me at least way hotter, so too the Primo and the Douglah.

The red BrnStrn I've tasted were absolutely amazing - although end of season they can become bitter (start of the cold rain season so it can be expected).

If there is one chile that has left an absolute void for me considering the amount of press it receives then it is the Reaper.  Big hullaballoo about diddly squat.  Unstable and not this highly mysterious cross - it is nothing more than a Bhut x Red 7 Pot or maybe even a red BrnStrn.  I would love to watch a taste test - blind - between the aforementioned 3 and a Reaper.  I'll bet the Reaper won't feature.

The difference between it's originator and the rest of the chileheads out there is that we don't constantly claim to have more and more even more deadly chile in the wings (Death Strain - what a crap name for something that was apparently developed for cancer research!).  We go about our business humbly - not constant chest puffing and bragging.  What's that thing about empty vessels?

"100 people can eat them"
What, and my friends and I make three percent of that? Anyone with teeth can eat one, just that about half will throw it up, and another large chunk of them won't want a second one.

Although the reaper does have the advantage that it doesn't taste like shit mixed with fermented battery acid. It isn't that exceptional as far as heat goes though. Ghost scorpions taste hotter to me.

Edit: Capsaicinoids do actually reduce cancer chances normally. Sorry smokemaster, but you had the worst luck. Or did carcinogenic things, in which case I'm still sorry to hear that, but please take care of yourself next time.

LOL yeah right.

I DO eat fresh supers regularly.  So do a lot of the guys I work with.  Do we make up another ten percent of that?

What a load of bull

My point is about peppers.IS eating them doesn't do anything to prevent or cure Cancer.
MAYBE something in hots kills Cancer on contact ,I don't know...

I've read Milk kills Aids virus IN a Test tube.
Something in milk kills certain viruses.

Drinking mild doesn't do squat.

Keep things in context to reality.
A Lab isn't the same as eating peppers.

IF something in Peppers DOES mess with Cancer,they still have to find out what the specific chemical is,why it does what it does,HOW to get it to the Tumor etc.
Tests so far are mainly treating a tumor with different specific things in hot peppers.
NONE are from eating peppers.
OR for realities sake,Data collected on Cancer rates in Countries that eat Peppers on a daily practice.

As far as the cause of my Cancer isn't the issue.
Lymphoma causes are unknown.
It's not hereditary and seems to be random,though they used to think it might be caused by solvents like benzene and MEK type stuff.
Peppers are "out of context" said to fight or cure certain Cancers IF EATEN...
I ate Peppers during Chemo-7 pot Lava powders from Judy.
(A month in the hospital was easier to deal with eating their food sprinkled with lava.)

I think something in Hots,might or does mess with certain Cancers.

But eating peppers means nothing as far as research that is posted around goes.

So far I've read in a test tube it killed a Cancer,In dogs (directly injecting whatever into the tumor) it killed a kind of Cancer...
They didn't say what thing in the peppers messed with the Cancer or the way the tumor was treated etc.

Most things I read were in concentrations nobody could safely eat.

Lot different than eating crazy hot peppers to find the fountain of youth.

Take things in context , most stuff about peppers and Cancer are half truths embellished by vendors.

As I said,there is probably something in peppers that might fight certain Cancers.
Totally different than just eating super hots...

If you look at one of the small locations ghost peppers come from, just Assam, India has a population of 26 million. This is where the lady who ate 52 ghost peppers in one sitting basically came from. Sure, reapers are hotter, but how many people out of just those 26m do you think can eat a reaper? I would bet at least 10,000 and most likely more like 100k. I know 8 people just in my town that do eat while reapers. Not all the time, but they do use a lot of material in their food each day. 100 in the whole world is a ridiculously low figure. I won't speculate on why he would be quoted saying that.

I think that is a correct statement for eating/enjoying whole fresh pods. 

Now let me add that eating a reaper and puking doesn't count either. Eating one and suffering all day after doesn't count. I'm talking about people who can eat them regularly and get some sadistic kind of enjoyment out of that kind of pain.

hope this helps !  :)

Sadistic kind of enjoyment hmmmm
I get that from watching my friends eat chilli i just normally enjoy eating chillis myself
Maybe he was trying to say statistically one in lets say about 10 000 000 people then possibly you might get around 100 people or so
I think the statement was just a warning for non chilli heads

oldsalty said:
Wow Ajdrew y'all started a chili war!!!! :)
Ye, usually I open my dumb mouth and get pounded myself.  Now trying to come up with words for the Chili War song.  Naw, back to the garden. Got earth to flip.

BTW: I really love the Carolina Reaper and gotta figure there are more than 100 others who do.  Not into eating pods whole much over ghost pepper, but love cooking with the thing.

ajdrew said:
Ye, usually I open my dumb mouth and get pounded myself.  Now trying to come up with words for the Chili War song.  Naw, back to the garden. Got earth to flip.
BTW: I really love the Carolina Reaper and gotta figure there are more than 100 others who do.  Not into eating pods whole much over ghost pepper, but love cooking with the thing.
Hahaha Hahaha the chili war song!!!

Reapers rock great flavor and I think there pretty hot but it's up and down. Excellent for cooking!!!

Now out to that garden you got work to do!! Lol :) don't overdo it out there brother!

SavinaRed said:
I think that is a correct statement for eating/enjoying whole fresh pods. 

Right. A whole fresh pod straight to the mouth. I very much disagree. I'm confident that number is much much higher. More importantly, and even more confidently, that Ed pulled this figure out of his arse.

Back