• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ornamentals chile - suggestions please!

Hey y'all

Off the bat: I think any chile in full fruit is a thing of beauty.  However I would like to grow a few purely for their ornamental value - in pots around our outdoor entertainment area.  So far I have the following on my list that I will order from various Vendors:

NuMex Pinata
NuMex Centennial
Chinese 5 colour or Bolivian Rainbow (is there a difference between the two?)
Explosive Ember
Prairie Fire

I'm not too keen on variegated plants and I already have Black Prince and Black Coban (thanks again Steve (SL3)!).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Purple flash is nice!

Stumpy is also quite nice - similar to some of the NuMex varieties.

Q is which Vendor has seed of those?  I haven't encountered those two in my Vendor search.

Maui Purple I looked at as well but decided on Explosive Ember as it seems more compact.

so far my maui purple are very compact. Not sure how much that will change when they go outside but I'll keep you posted if interested. 
20150422_073224_zpsnqylzprm.jpg

+1 on purple flash. My purple flash has fairly striking purple foliage. It's shorter and bushier than most of my other seedlings. It does have a little variegation here and there. Not to the degree the fish pepper has, but it's there. I think it adds a nice contrast with the purple leaves. Another suggestion would be black pearl https://www.buckeyepepper.com/black-pearl?search=black%20pearl

RobStar said:

Chinese 5 colour or Bolivian Rainbow (is there a difference between the two?)

I have been wondering about that as well. Apart from the fact that one is a Chinese cultivar and the other is a Bolivian cultivar, they seem almost identical to me. 

Black Pearl is the best looking plant I have ever seen.

Yeah I'm in love with Black Pearl. Ever since I saw someone plant many close together, almost like a ground cover.

Pink Tiger is considered ornamental as well I believe

Pepper Lover says it's an ornamental. In this case more the fruit than the foliage. Pods really do looks awesome.

I also suggest the Aji Omnicolor. Seems to be one of the few ornamentals that gets praised for its flavor as well as its looks http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/cart/product/81/omni_color/

Nigel did a quick review of the pods here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8JHD2WQEg

If you dont mind a tall plant there is the bishop's crown multicolored http://www.fordsfieryfoodsandplants.com/Bishops-crown-Multi-colored?search=bishops%20crown

I don't think it's really considered an ornamental, but you do get the multicolored appearance together with what should be a tasty bishop's crown flavor.

Spicy Mushroom said:
Wow. Do you know if that Bishop's Crown Multicolored is comparable to the taste of the 'regular' Bishop's Crown?

No idea. I'm growing it, but i don't have pods yet. I'm assuming and hoping it tastes as good as the standard one is supposed to taste.

Gotta question on the Pink Tiger. Since it is considered an ornamental, does that mean it is not for consumption? Is the flavor horrible? The pods look nasty as if they are some kind of horribly accidental mutation aka The Fly 2. I am growing one Pink Tiger plant and I am not sure what to do with it. Perhaps I should pot it up and keep it out of the garden where the food grows.

RobStar said:
Thanks!

Purple flash is nice!

Stumpy is also quite nice - similar to some of the NuMex varieties.

Q is which Vendor has seed of those?  I haven't encountered those two in my Vendor search.

Maui Purple I looked at as well but decided on Explosive Ember as it seems more compact.
Is this the Stumpy you are referring??  I have seeds if they are!
DSCN9826.JPG

DSCN6417.JPG

Barra do Ribeiro is a nice size & prolific ornamental but you may not think it is ornamental #Robstar
DSCN5908.JPG

Thanks y'all!

I have the multi-colour bishop's crown in my sights - already earmarked the seed from Ford's.

Barra di Ribeiro is one that I wanted to grow way back - was always meaning to get it from Beth @ Peppermania.  Shoulda coulda didn't.  Pity.  I'll miss her.

Many baccatum are really pretty.  I really like Rainforest (also from Beth).  Beautiful wispy little plant with obscurely shaped large fruits that become a fiery orange.  And they taste damn fine.  Got plenty seed this year.

So yip, thanks all that contributed - I know have some extra ideas for brightening up the space - like a true chilehead!

Back