• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Kill it with fire! Or nurse it?

Hi

My over-wintered red savina habanero is showing strange symptoms, and i'm concerned that it migh contaminate my other peppers, if it is in fact a desease.

It generally looks healthy - not the prettiest though. I was checking it because it started to drop leafs, and noticed three things. Slightly asymmetric leafs, brown patches on leafs, and what appears to be small blisters on the underside of the leafs. I first thought it was spider-mites, but they dont seem to move. The patches could be sunburn, i'd reckon, but the blisters and leaf deformations? I don't know....

The whole plant
rkoi82.jpg

Brown splotches noticed on both sides - leaf deformation also depicted.
ohdsp.jpg

"Blisters" are visible near the leaf stem.
2vnev7d.jpg

Any ideas - anyone? =)

Cheers

I'm no expert, but it looks like sun damage to me on the leaves shown. Are the deformed leafs new after the sun exposure? Or where they already present at exposure. I accidentally burned my Carribean Red and it did the same thing. I would isolate it if you can, and nurse it and see what happens.
Somebody else might see some problems other than sun though.

Kill it with Explosives!!!

No explosives, then nurse it. I hate to see a living thing unnecessarily die... unless it is blown into pieces (plants and crawfish only)

fire is a distant 3rd.

Did someone say crawfish???

The blisters look like edema. Cut back on watering a bit. Check the water saturation level by the weight of the plant. If it's light, water it just until water runs from the drain holes. It's difficult to tell by the picture how damp the soil is because of the perlite on top, but that would be my bet. - EDIT: Also, get some air movement on it... a small fan or outdoor breeze should do it.

The discoloration looks like sunburn. It's a non-issue. Don't sweat it.

The so-called "deformation" is just natural. Nothing looks out of sorts to me. Every plant is different. Some have the "S" shaped, curvy leaves like yours, including my habanero. Others, like the California Wonder bell pepper have big, broad, thick, spade-shaped leaves. Whereas my Thai Dragon has slimmer, more spear-point shaped leaves. The asymmentry is perfectly normal. If you're referring to the dimples in the leaves, it could just be a minor case of overfertilization.

What size pot is that? If anything, I'd say it would benefit most from new shoes and a bigger root system.

Phil said:
Did someone say crawfish???

The blisters look like edema. Cut back on watering a bit. Check the water saturation level by the weight of the plant. If it's light, water it just until water runs from the drain holes. It's difficult to tell by the picture how damp the soil is because of the perlite on top, but that would be my bet. - EDIT: Also, get some air movement on it... a small fan or outdoor breeze should do it.

The discoloration looks like sunburn. It's a non-issue. Don't sweat it.

The so-called "deformation" is just natural. Nothing looks out of sorts to me. Every plant is different. Some have the "S" shaped, curvy leaves like yours, including my habanero. Others, like the California Wonder bell pepper have big, broad, thick, spade-shaped leaves. Whereas my Thai Dragon has slimmer, more spear-point shaped leaves. The asymmentry is perfectly normal. If you're referring to the dimples in the leaves, it could just be a minor case of overfertilization.

What size pot is that? If anything, I'd say it would benefit most from new shoes and a bigger root system.
+1      :onfire:

Phil said:

A wise man once told me.... when in doubt, C4

1. revive if possible
2. give to friend to revive if possible
3. ask forum members how to revive
4. explode it

"when in doubt, C4"

Ozzy2001 said:
Sledge hammer and duct tape are the only two tools you need to fix everything lol.

I have always heard, super glue and duct tape, but your way sounds far more therapeutic.

sledgehammers are good for the soul

Darkgreen said:
Hi

My over-wintered red savina habanero is showing strange symptoms, and i'm concerned that it migh contaminate my other peppers, if it is in fact a desease.

It generally looks healthy - not the prettiest though. I was checking it because it started to drop leafs, and noticed three things. Slightly asymmetric leafs, brown patches on leafs, and what appears to be small blisters on the underside of the leafs. I first thought it was spider-mites, but they dont seem to move. The patches could be sunburn, i'd reckon, but the blisters and leaf deformations? I don't know....

The whole plant
rkoi82.jpg

Brown splotches noticed on both sides - leaf deformation also depicted.
ohdsp.jpg

"Blisters" are visible near the leaf stem.
2vnev7d.jpg

Any ideas - anyone? =)

Cheers
has it been out in the direct sun ? for how long ?     :onfire:

You guys left out WD40.  That fixes everything.  Put some WD40 on it.  :D

On a more serious note, yeah it might be a sunburn/overwatering combination.  Soil takes much longer to dry out indoors and can cause overwatering symptoms very easily as well as sometimes host some serious fungus problems.  The sunburn is no big deal..I've actually noticed that the sunburned leaves are where you'll get more explosive growth when you have them hardened off for good, the damp soil around cramped roots can kill a plant though, I just lost an overwintered peach bhut to this problem this week, I couldn't save it in time.

Back