Hello from the High Desert of California - Soilless Greenhouse Grow

Hello Fellow Chili-Heads!!! Don't worry, No spammy-stuff coming from here...

I am a hobby gardener growing my passion: Superhots, as well as any exotic (or at least less than typical) tomatoes. My current bill of peppers is as follows:

Chocolate Bhutlah
Carolina Reaper
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Red Bhut Jolokia
Peach Bhut Jolokia
(Also growing some Jalapenos that ripen to be deep red and corked all the way to the tips, Shipka's, and some bells and poblanos for the wimps in my house). 

Currently my seedlings are 2-3 inches tall and very healthy. I estimate my germination to be above 90%. I planted 5 of every pepper plant, hoping for 2-3 viable plants to transition, thinning to 2 plants apiece as that is all i can support on my 8'x4' grow tray with each plant moving to a 6x6x6 Grodan Hugo to finish in. But EVERYTHING GERMINATED. I am inundated with pepper plants! I have a few foster families lined up, but geez... I guess I'm lucky?

I live in a hot, arid, windy desert. I am a doing a full soilless grow, so to save on lighting costs I have put up a 12'x7' greenhouse in my backyard and plan to move my seedlings to my grow tray/drip system in the greenhouse when the time is right. An easy-up over the top of the greenhouse during the hottest part of the days should help, a chiller on my rez for the solution temp, and lady beetles and lacewings run amok should ward off the nasties.

I am open to, and would appreciate, any suggestions that come from experience. Thanks Friends!

Mike

sounds like a good plan to me, most people say horizontal airflow is best, so dunno if you have a fan or a way to open the sides a little would be good.
post some pics of your setup when you getem transplanted

Thanks Everyone! WOW - Hearing from fellow Americans, South Africa, Romania, etc.. this is fantastic!

juanitos: Yes, definitely.. The greenhouse has 3 roll-up windows on each long side with bug screens sewn in. I have 2 oscillating floor fans that I planned to use, but just last weekend I found this twin window fan that I'm thinking if I got 2 of them and affixed to a window vent on each side, not only would it save floor space in the tent, but i might get a great cross stream of fresh air during the days when its too hot here to keep the tent closed up.
Check them out: http://thd.co/1Ez8TYl 

rghm1u20: Hi there, peppers and tomatoes grow so great together don't they? This grow I am doing Costoluto Genovese, San Marzano, Matt's Wild Cherries, and the one I most excited about: Black Kumatos. Apparently easier to obtain seeds than I originally thought, but still cool to hear about how in Spain and other countries overseas, you actually have to have a license to grow them! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumato
Ill see how these go, and if successful, Ill be sure to have seeds available for anyone that would like to give them a go.

Thanks for the comments and questions everyone, I LOVE talking about my garden and plants/gardening in general so keep the comments coming. This weekend is GO weekend, so after a few modifications to the drip system to get the water pressure right, I will transferring the plants to the tray and yes, I will be posting pics. 

In the meantime, what nutes is everyone using? What do you swear by?
Im still a GH person. For the cost and quality, Ive been sold, and I swear by RapidStart. If you're not using it, try it. But I think starting next season Id like to experiment with some other brands. Anyone use Foxfarm products?

Welcome aboard bro! I lived in Hesperia california many years. Just make sure you get some shade and you will do fine. I always had mine in 4 gallon white buckets and around 12 or 1 pm when they started to droop from the sun, I would move them under a tree, then they would perk back up.
I'm in chino california now, so I just rigged up shade cloth and they are good.

Back