• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds My hot pepper seedlings

Hey guys. So about a 2 months ago, I planted some varieties of hot peppers that my friend tsurrie had sent me. This year I used some heating pads to make them sprout fast. It was succesful.
So after a while it came to me  that the light coming through the window was not enough for the seedlings, so I installed a 15W lamp. I am uploading some pictures for you to check my set up. The first two pics were taken about a month ago. The other ones were taken 2 weeks ago.
Im growing, Red Habs, Cayenne. Goats weed, Bulgarian Carrot, Bhut Jolokia, Fatalii, and a few others which I cant remember right now.
I will transplant them in big pots, this weekend.

3YrQZYG.jpg

CJVwbaF.jpg

fDvbSxi.jpg

Uf5Ho7u.jpg

K9OQagv.jpg

They're looking pretty good so far, just a little leggy.  They should be alright if you can get them outside relatively soon.  Once they have a set or two of true leaves that probably won't be enough light for them

Mine are also quite leggy as a result of lack of light. I have since boosted the light and brought in a fan. How serious of an issue is 'too leggy'? When you transplant can you bury much of the leggy stem to circumvent the problem?

Spicy Mushroom said:
Mine are also quite leggy as a result of lack of light. I have since boosted the light and brought in a fan. How serious of an issue is 'too leggy'? When you transplant can you bury much of the leggy stem to circumvent the problem?

You answered your own question. :D That's absolutely correct... at plant out, just bury the leggy stem deep. Some folks plant all the way up to the cotyledons.

Guys the pictures were taken the day I "installed" the lamp so they're leggy as you're saying. I put them out today.
They're doing fine!!
Thanks for your replies ;)

You should add more lights and you should try grow lights. I haven't tried them on peppers, but they work well for other plants.

Spicy Mushroom said:
within reason. if there is 5" between nodes , planting to the cotys aint gonna help.

I will also have to say leggy.  And I do know this from experience.  Again, this year, it happened to me.  I started indoors in the first week of January thinking after last years slow start to summer, that I would get a head start.  Placed in a south facing window, up here in Manitoba.  If you thought yours were leggy, you should see mine.  I did however get them to beef up a lot by topping everybody.  This was done mainly due to space restraints, but I do like the outcome.

Back