• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Got Pests? Free repellant prototype (limited offer)

salsalady

Business Member
EDIT-  Offer Closed, all samples have been claimed and shipped.  If it works, I'll look at doing more.  THANKS!

Hey Everyone,

I have 8 bottles of a pest repellant available to those in need.  I'd like these to go to people who currently are battling aphids or other insect pests as well as mammel critter pests.  As this is a free offer, I regret to say it's available for US folks only.

Through a weird series of events, I was asked to buy a capsaicin-Glycerol Mono Oleate product by the mfg as a fire sale salvage situation with the intent that maybe something could be made out of it.  The first 2 thoughts was to try and make a pest spray and a capsaicin hand cream. 

Here's the first prototype which is a Pest Repellant for bugs, critters, obnoxious in-laws....

Based on another commercially available hot pepper spray product, I've formulated this concentrate to be about the same SHU as that other product.  What I'm working with is 100% pure capsaicin dissolved in food grade Glycerol Mono Oleate (GMO) to a concentration of 1 million SHU.  That's what came from the manufacturer.  I mixed it with water and Ivory dish soap to achieve a capsaicin content similar to that other product. 

What's missing is the "wax" element that the other thing has, but I'm hoping the Glycerol Mono Oleate, which is oil-based, will have a similar effect as the "wax".

DSC_0041.JPG

This should work for bug pests, slugs, mammels like deer and rabbits (I hope!)

It's concentrated, I figure 1/4 teaspoon per quart/ 1 teaspoon per gallon....These sample bottles are about 3 liquid ounces, will make a ton of solution.

SO!  What I need are some infested and suffering plants that the owners are willing to experiment with.  If you are willing to do some test sprays, let me know how it works...(Kills all the aphids and the deer, didn't kill the aphids but kept the deer away, killed every plant it touched [it could happen!  It's a prototype...I gotta be honest!])....Send me a PM. 

First 8 to PM get the test bottles, but PLEASE don't claim a bottle unless you will be able to use it now.  If it works, I will make more available at a very reasonable price compared to the other commercially available hot pepper sprays and concentrates. Edit- Please inlcude your mailing addy in the PM to save me from PMing back to you to ask for it.... :crazy:  :lol:

Thanks for your interest!

salsalady

Thanks Robby~

I've had a couple PM's.  Please include your mailing address to save me having to PM asking for it.  :)  I should of mentioned that in the OP. 

Thanks for the PM's.  2.25 bottles spoken for. 
Text on the label-

Hot Pepper Pest Repellant
mix 40 drops(1/4 teaspoon) per quart
mix 1 teaspoon per gallon

Spray on plants to repel deer, critters, bugs, and other pests.  Repeat after rain.

Contains- water, Ivory dish soap, pure capsaicin in glycerol mono oleate (GMO).

Damn, I'm fully expecting a heavy season for aphids due to the mild Winter.  I just started planting out yesterday, so, the aphids haven't arrived, yet.  They will.

rougejim, if the aphids will arrive soon, go ahead and claim one.  If it's a few weeks out, let others take the samples and see how it performs.  Based on responses, I can make more in a few weeks.  Up to you~

PM received- thanks~

Dang - I actually wish my plants had an aphid problem right now! Very cool set of circumstances, Ann; I really hope this works out!

salsalady said:
Hey Everyone,

I have 8 bottles of a pest repellant available to those in need.  I'd like these to go to people who currently are battling aphids or other insect pests as well as mammel critter pests.  As this is a free offer, I regret to say it's available for US folks only.

Through a weird series of events, I was asked to buy a capsaicin-Glycerol Mono Oleate product by the mfg as a fire sale salvage situation with the intent that maybe something could be made out of it.  The first 2 thoughts was to try and make a pest spray and a capsaicin hand cream. 

Here's the first prototype which is a Pest Repellant for bugs, critters, obnoxious in-laws....

Based on another commercially available hot pepper spray product, I've formulated this concentrate to be about the same SHU as that other product.  What I'm working with is 100% pure capsaicin dissolved in food grade Glycerol Mono Oleate (GMO) to a concentration of 1 million SHU.  That's what came from the manufacturer.  I mixed it with water and Ivory dish soap to achieve a capsaicin content similar to that other product. 

What's missing is the "wax" element that the other thing has, but I'm hoping the Glycerol Mono Oleate, which is oil-based, will have a similar effect as the "wax".

attachicon.gif
DSC_0041.JPG

This should work for bug pests, slugs, mammels like deer and rabbits (I hope!)

It's concentrated, I figure 1/4 teaspoon per quart/ 1 teaspoon per gallon....These sample bottles are about 3 liquid ounces, will make a ton of solution.

SO!  What I need are some infested and suffering plants that the owners are willing to experiment with.  If you are willing to do some test sprays, let me know how it works...(Kills all the aphids and the deer, didn't kill the aphids but kept the deer away, killed every plant it touched [it could happen!  It's a prototype...I gotta be honest!])....Send me a PM. 

First 8 to PM get the test bottles, but PLEASE don't claim a bottle unless you will be able to use it now.  If it works, I will make more available at a very reasonable price compared to the other commercially available hot pepper sprays and concentrates. Edit- Please inlcude your mailing addy in the PM to save me from PMing back to you to ask for it.... :crazy:  :lol:

Thanks for your interest!

salsalady
By "wax" element, do you mean a wetting agent?  Might want to add something like this:
http://www.planetnatural.com/product/coco-wet-organic-wetting-agent/

What is this other product you keep alluding to?

Thanks geeme and ryme~

qoute" By "wax" element, do you mean a wetting agent?  Might want to add something like this:
http://www.planetnat...-wetting-agent/

What is this other product you keep alluding to?"

Not a wetting agent, which to me is an adjuvent which makes water wetter(afaik).  "wax" as I've seen it described by the other products, is something that coats the bug and sets up and suffocates the pest. 

I won't link to the product, but if you google Hot Pepper Wax (Bug/pest/pesticide) you will get to the other product.  I have not used that product.  I'm just trying to come up with something that will work and be economical. 

I wonder how waxes/oils/soaps which coat the stomata, affect pollination.  Do you advise rinsing your spray off after a period of time?

Also, will you provide the THP members names using the spray so we can compare notes?

This is cool.

I just made a spray myself to repel the squirrels that love to plant peanuts in my soil.

I had some bhuts that were picked while green still that I have chilling in a jar of vinegar. Soooo..

I took about four and soaked them in a cup and a half of hot water with a half cup of white vinegar for three days. Then added a tablespoon of cooking oil and some dawn dishsoap.

Sprayed the plants and immediate surrounding areas two days ago.

No squirrel holes.....yet.

I'm going to follow this thread. It it fascinating.

Good luck to all you that claim a bottle. Let us know how things turn out.

I am especially I interested on how the aphids are affected.

How does this work though, since capsaicin only affects mammals?
I can see it pissing off squirrels but what about aphids?

I'm not sure the "how" of it, I think aphids are soft-bodied.  Some pests/insects are hard shelled which is where the "wax" component works to suffocate them.  Maybe one of the growers knows more specifics~

obeychase- gotcha on the list~ :)  (edit- did you send a PM with your addy yet?)

first 5 went out yesterday,

obeychase, your's will go out tomorrow, delay in getting your addy~

I still have a couple bottles if anyone else wants one.

last couple bottles claimed and in the mail.

Please let me know if it works or not. 

Salsalady,

I want to forward this bottle you sent me to someone else.  They aphids arrived several days ago, and I couldn't wait for your prototype.  I've already sprayed.

The first person to PM me will get this last bottle sent to them.

Back