• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Black Hungarian

I have four Black Hungarian seedlings seed form cone9 open pollinated.
I've have been interested in them for sometime just have not ordered any seed .
Anyway I know they have purple flowers & are capsisum annuum that pods go form black to red & are a Jalapeño type.
My seedlings have purplish pink stems like cherio roxa & some have purplish dark leaves just wondering is this normal I like them very much & I am looking forward to the pods .
I would like to know more about flavor & heat guessing that is medium
Thank you for any advice on them etc

Dark leaves are natural for them in my experience. I grew some last year, and would say that heat wise they're lower than jalapeno. Flavour is great both ripe am unripe. Unripe is similar to jalapenos, ripe has a nice touch of sweetness from my experience.

They are 5-10k shu, so around jalapeño heat. They are a bit sweeter than jalapeños though imho.
They are 5-10k shu, so around jalapeño heat. They are a bit sweeter than jalapeños though imho.

MeatHead1313 said:
Dark leaves are natural for them in my experience. I grew some last year, and would say that heat wise they're lower than jalapeno. Flavour is great both ripe am unripe. Unripe is similar to jalapenos, ripe has a nice touch of sweetness from my experience.
^
^
^ Exactly

Pfeffer said:
^
^
^ Exactly

They should go great then with my other Jalapeño types potato skin ( farmers market Jalapeño ) Fresno & Santa fe grande
I figure all of these with the right spices should make for a great Jalapeño salsa
Thanks for the info interesting variety black hungarians

I had an accidental crossing with a vezena piperka. It made some very interesting pods though after doing three new generations I didn't get a stable pheno with the right traits. It was a black, embroired, slightly octogonal sweet, relatively mild pepper that ripened from black to red. Worked great for stuffing and pizza, but needed to be seeded as they were filled with seeds.

Pfeffer said:
I had an accidental crossing with a vezena piperka. It made some very interesting pods though after doing three new generations I didn't get a stable pheno with the right traits. It was a black, embroired, slightly octogonal sweet, relatively mild pepper that ripened from black to red. Worked great for stuffing and pizza, but needed to be seeded as they were filled with seeds.
interesting

These were among the first peppers I grew when I picked up the hobby. The heat level was quite low, much lower than a jalapeno. The pepper was very sweet and really good for roasting on the BBQ. The flesh is deep red/purple and is quite thick, so it took quite a while to dehydrate. Well worth the wait though, since it really balanced out a pepper flake blend that I made from hungarian black, bhut jolokia, and carribean red habaneros.

The plant is aesthetically pleasing, with the stems and flowers having distinct purple streaks.

I grew a couple Black Hungarians last year.  Nice sweet flavor when ripe but not much heat.  I dried them and ground them into powder.  They were a great addition to my homemade salad dressings.

Did anyone use the black Hungarian peppers in any cooked applications? I'm curious if they keep their black color when being cooked (specifically when pickled). Some other veggies with darker coloring fade when heat is applied.

I have never cooked with them, but I dried them, and they do keep their nice dark color. Some parts turn somewhat redish, though.

Back