• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SeanW's 2015 Glog - Got Hydro?

Woah...I uh...totally flaked on last year's glog. I have a 1 year old. That'll happen. The moral of the story last year was that none of my plants really performed all that great save for the plants in the DWC. I didn't really get out much to take care of things, so that was probably why. I also wasn't watching two of my hydro peppers (urfa biber) and they got too large too fast and weren't sufficiently supported and kinda snapped. My other two DWC plants were a basil plant that provided a ton of basil, and an orange hab that gave me about a gallon of pods. Not bad for a single plant.

I got my stuff going late this year, my seedling tray only got started a week or two ago. I've started buying the stuff to expand my hydro setup to 10 DWC buckets, just short a few net baskets and a couple of buckets.

Going from memory, currently in my seedling tray is:
White Habanero
Fresno (popped)
Paprika (popped)
Orange Habanero (popped)
New Mex Suave Habanero (popped)
Jalmundo Jalapeno (popped)
Pimiento rubio de Mallorca
Kurtovska Kapija(Popped)
Aleppo (popped)
Urfa Biber (popped)
7 Pod Primo (popped)
Red Bhut Jolokia (popped)
Douglah (popped)

For non peppers, I have san marzano tomatoes, emmy yellow tomato, sugar pumpkins, spaghetti squash and butternut squash all popped, with bushel gourds still waiting to go. In the dirt already I have a bunch of alliums going wild, including a variety of garlic, a few types of onion and my trusty onion chives and garlic chives that have been there for 3 years now (and growing larger...). I also put some corn in against better judgment, the deer are going to have a field day. I'll be planting beans shortly, and will be putting the squash in with them for a 3 sisters type thing.

Might be something else, I have it written down..

The goal is to get as many of the peppers and tomatoes into DWC as I can, squash goes into the dirt. I started REALLY late, but I'm hoping that the C. Chinense will get a chance to pump out some pods thanks to the hydro. Only the squash babies have produced true leaves so far, and last frost is in about 2 weeks. I have a small greenhouse going, unheated. It's just been slightly too chilly so far to use it. I also have bad luck with murdering seedlings, so that might cull the crowd down some more as well. 

I've also started accumulating stuff for some NFT hydro, but that'll likely only be leafy greens. I have the water pump, I've been pricing out some PVC and need to get the net baskets for it. That stuff can wait until my DWC setup is fully populated, though.

Let's see how this glog goes. 

edit: corrected plant list

Jeff H said:
Sounds pretty cool, but this thread needs pics.
Yeah, I need to snag a shot of the babies. The hydro setup is just a bunch of buckets sitting in my yard at the moment, so nothing too exciting there. 

Woah, flickr has changed since I was last in there. Left side is my squash, pumpkins all the way left with butternut and spaghetti one row in. The plastic on that side is the bushel gourds. Tomatos are in the row next to the squash. All the way right is some wormwood seedlings, 3 rapid rooters full. I have more plants than I can use at the moment, but I have a taker for any spares. I'll be culling the weaklings once I start seeing true leaves on the peppers. I still have a few pepper cells covered, for the mallorca peppers, white habs (I have NEVER gotten one of them to germinate..) and...I can't remember what the last one is. Looks like one helmet head won't make it, but we'll see if he pulls through. The weather is warming up, so these will probably move out to the greenhouse shortly, and the squash may go into the dirt this weekend. I probably should get a reflector up there, and maybe lower the light, but it's working. Things are a little leggy but they'll flesh out once they get outdoors.

Hi Sean! I've been so busy that I kinda lost touch with you for a while there. How are things going in your neck of the woods? Hope all is OK...

Back