• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Air-Pot / GeoPot / SmartPot and Soil Mixture - Less / No Perlite needed?

Hey all, 

For Superoots Air-Pots (http://air-pot.com/garden/), or fabric bag methods - do you reduce the amount of Perlite mixed in since these dry out / drain quicker than a regular pot?  

Currently in my normal 4" containers, which i'm about to up-pot the plants had this very light mixture meant to prevent being "too hot" as well as adequate drainage. 
  • 25% FFOF
  • 25% Coco Coir
  • 50% Perlite

Moving on, I found a good deal on the#5 Superoots Air-Pots.  Since these types of pots already have more than adequate drainage (so much that people complain) - I was considering keeping it simple with:
  • 75% FFOF
  • 25% Worm Castings

FFOF already contains Perlite, some say about 40%, and this would allow me to simplify the mix and also pack the sides a bit tighter. Also note I'm considering ditching Coco Coir, which I used for the seedlings.  

Any potential drawbacks or suggestions?

I'd say you have more than enough perlite if the FFOF already has up to 40%. That's a lot more than I use, but I also use vermiculite. I use the "eyeball" measurement method and would say the combo of perlite-vermiculate is still less than 25%.

I use less perlite in my cloth gro-bags because they do dry out fast. I still use about the same amount of vermiculite because it tends to hold water. Even so, I have to water them every day in the heat of summer.

My mix this year is a bit different 30 percent organic soil 30 percent perlite 10 crab shell 5 sand 25 on the compost. Adding magnesium sulfate in the bottom of the hole. Making tea with blood meal, Neptune harvest hydrolyzed fish and seaweed and worm castings. In a month taking away the blood meal and going with water soluble k44.

Back