• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Need input for new sauce

Last season my dad gave me a couple zip lock bags full of some peppers that he had extra. They are a Datil - Habanero cross of some sort I think. Either way, I am making room in my freezer this weekend so I thought I would try to make a new sauce. I do not want to ferment this one just process and call it a day. I am going to start by halving and seeding all the pods and then roasting/cooking them in my cast iron skillet. Once they are roasted and such I will blend and process probably with some vinegar and a sweetner of some sort. This is where I would like some suggestions, I have read numerous threads about what to mix and such but everyone has their own preferences. I want this to be a sauce people can actually eat and enjoy instead of just a few drops on some beans or whatever. What is the best way to tame a sauce down? Just a smaller pepper ratio? Thanks for any input.

So milder not sweeter lol. Sweet doesn't tame it makes it sweet hot, except for the fact it takes up more mass, so lowering the pepper mass per serving. So yes it lowers it in that sense. 

In the non-ferment habanero sauce I make, I use pineapple and papaya, brown sugar and agave nectar.... I found a recipe that called for 12 orange habs, yellow mustard, honey, light brown sugar and peaches plus some spices and such....
Not a fan of peaches or yellow mustard, hence the change in fruits. I've experimented with brown spicy mustard and honey mustard, I prefer it with the brown mustard.... It makes about 4-5 cups....
Seems easy enough to start with less pods and increase to reach the desired heat....

Since you are roasting peppers throw some onions in there, the onions will caramelize for a nice flavor. For the sweet edge throw some fresh diced pineapple in there as well, tastes great when it caramelizes. That's all the sweet you need! Peppers, vinegar, roasted onions and pineapple, salt. Coriander (seed, not cilantro) would play nice in there as well.

I was thinking that too, I just don't like too much and often I'm good with none. But it def works!

don't put the garlic in the CI until the very end, it cooks very fast.

Use the Ci for roasting everything will make a great flavor profile.  Use bell peppers (of the appropriate color to match the sauce) to stretch out the sauce and reduce the heat.  Carrots, yams, squash, onions, apples and pears are all good items to bulk up the sauce and reduce the heat. 

Have Fun and Post Pics!

The Hot Pepper said:
Yeah I just learned garlic turns bitter when overcooked, from this forum.

And those are some weird veg for a hot sauce lol...... :P
You sir are funny, whole garlic heads roasted in the oven are to die for and oh they are good in sauce :) Ok, one cuba libre past bedtime.....

On lowering the heat: The majority of the flavor of a pepper seems to be in the walls.  The majority of the heat seems to be in the placenta surrounding the seeds. I get some amazing flavors by cutting the placenta / seeds out so I can use more peppers before my eyeballs melt.  With Carolina Reaper, I can get two peppers into the fixings for every jelly jar the batch will make before people complain that it is over the top.  The result is a smoke flavor that I dont get out of them any other way.  Other peppers have just as amazing flavors that I never knew were there till I started toning them down this way in cooking.

The Hot Pepper said:
Not being funny at all.
http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/keep-garlic-turning-bitter-21151.html

Many have discovered it right here on this forum as well. It will turn bitter if not cooked right. As SL and others know too.
Oh I knew you were not being funny, garlic can get that bite quick if not careful and ruin a dish in a second. I just thought it was funny your learned something from here and posted it...kudos! 

There are a lot of great tips here :onfire:
If I were working with a Datil x unknown Hab as a sauce and wanted to tone down the heat, I would want to add DatilSweet peppers & or Trinidad Perfume Peppers, Manzano would probably go great with that flavor too, or as Salsalady suggested you could use Bells (similar colored) if that's all thats available.
The Hot Pepper's suggestion of Carmelized onions, adds some Sweet/Savory elements to Sauces usually.
I like to use Agave nectar as a sweetener in my homemade sauces but I have used carmelized Pineapple as well.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Oh I knew you were not being funny, garlic can get that bite quick if not careful and ruin a dish in a second. I just thought it was funny your learned something from here and posted it...kudos! 

LOL! I learn a lot here and can admit it. I just happen to know pretty much everything already so it is rare.....

:P

:rofl:

PS. Italians cook with huge chunks of garlic (basically cloves cut in half or whole cloves with ends trimmed) so it flavors the sauce through the slow cook but you don't eat the clove (the bitter part), it can be strained out later, or if it ends up on your plate, you just don't eat it. Like a bay leaf deal.

I've seen this many times, no minced garlic in sauces/gravies. No chance of any bitterness because the bitterness is retained in the flesh, but the clove flavors the dish with garlic.

I knew this was popular in Italian cooking I just didn't put 2 and 2 together until someone here talked about bitterness. I always thought it was just a flavor release/control and presentation thing (sauces not speckled with garlic), but now I get it... you can also control bitterness.

Yes I learned that here lol.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53032-hot-sauce-has-slight-bitter-after-taste/?p=1123639

;)

Back