• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Hugelkultur

So a friend of mine turned me on to this link after visiting a farm that uses the technique.  Owner of the farm claims he's never been truly put out by the Kentucky droughts these past few years.  Also claims his growing season starts earlier and ends later due to the ground being heated by the wood naturally composting.  Had to share.

http://www.richsoil.com/hugelkultur/

I stumbled across some info on this a couple years back from Mother Earth News.  When we put in the 3 newest beds I used my own hybrid version of hegelkultur in an experiment to see how it would work.  2 years later I can confirm the beds that I laid the logs/saplings in need less water on a weekly basis and warm up faster/cool more slowly that my other non-hegelkultur beds.  There isn't that big a difference - as I did not use large log pieces and mound as high as the info I got proposed (didn't have that much wood or dirt!) but there is indeed a difference.  

This is quite interesting. I might have to try it next year. We have a cherry tree that's on it's last chance, having failed to produce a single fruit in 5 (or 6) years and grown to be a moster size wise. If it fails us this year it's getting chopped up, at least it could be of some use in the garden. 

Cheers for the tip ajdrew! 

Smokefire, nice to know someone else reads Mother Earth News.  I used to be a bigger fan back when they were more DIY, but still like it.  Just kind of think they have moved a bit more towards the buy this, buy that approach that I am sure their advertisers appreciate.

Comptine, did your tree produce previously?  Did it loose a cross pollinator?  Only time I have seen a tree going from producing to absolutely nothing was an apple tree near a housefire.  That year, nothing.  Next year right back to normal.  Sure there are many conditions that can cause what you are describing, but wonder if they are not reversible.  Takes so damn long to grow fruit trees.

I've read a few articles about this. It's really intriguing. As many trees as I have around me it would easy to do.

Back