• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Alabama goat farm n creamery for free

Write the best 200 word or less essay, pay $150.00 entry fee, and you might win a 20 acre dairy goat farm and creamery.  Complete with everything to turn your goat milk into goat cheese, including commercial kitchen.

Thinking hot pepper cheese.

Thinking on it.  But being it is in Alabama and I am a nut case, if I won I would have to learn how to play that song from Deliverance on the bango.

http://mashable.com/2015/05/03/goat-farm-essay/#:eyJzIjoiZiIsImkiOiJfcG56aWZ1czY5M2Z6bHl5cSJ9

"The Spells are asking each entrant to pay a $150 submission fee, and said they hope to get 2,500 entries in all, which would total $375,000. This amount will be used to pay off the rest of their mortgage"

lol

Yup,scam. You win you would need lots of money to operate and pay taxes. My sister does these crap things all the time thinking she is going to win a bed and breakfast. Dont have ten dollars but she going to run a bed and breakfast,give me a break. :rolleyes:

So they bought the farm and then discovered goat cheese just wasn't their thing.  But the note weighs heavily, and the bank doesn't care if they were wrong about the dream of chevre.  The contest is an inventive way to get out from under that debt, but I have to wonder how many people really would want to pick up everything and move to Alabama to make goat cheese...  

I was interested until I saw the essays had a 200 word limit.  I do not think I could express myself in so few words.  Professional who essentially had a stroke, turned to agriculture, started raising goats for sustenance (cheese n milk) because could no longer afford groceries.  Retained enough business sense to start produce business.  Lost part of foot, other leg in cast, but still keeps going.  Kind of a combination sob story n success story.  I dont mind whoring my story out for 20 acres.

Thing is, what Smokefire said about moving to Alabama or anywhere is right on the money.  Sure there are folk reading this who do not have land, or who havent had it for long.  Once you get settled, you get kind of attached.  If I were a people person, I would probably feel the same way even without land.

Thinking on it, but not too hard.  Still, I love goats, turning land into crops, and the thing has everything to make commercial food products.  So hot pepper goat cheese, hot sauces, and so on.  Think goat milk hot pepper chocolate.  OK, maybe not.  All complete with a set of mentors to help navigate the laws and red tape.  It would be like having Luckydog come live with me for a summer to kick start a hot sauce business.

I would need a banjo.

able eye said:
"The Spells are asking each entrant to pay a $150 submission fee, and said they hope to get 2,500 entries in all, which would total $375,000. This amount will be used to pay off the rest of their mortgage"

lol
Yes, they were unable to sell the farm for what it is worth so they are using an alternative method.  If enough people do not participate, it doesn't work.  Kind of like playing the lottery.  Unless lots of people play, the jack pot does not grow.

SmokenFire said:
The contest is an inventive way to get out from under that debt, but I have to wonder how many people really would want to pick up everything and move to Alabama to make goat cheese...  

Exactly.  Some folk seem to think it is a scam, but the information is right there.  it is not a free give away, but I would not call it a scam.  By doing something outrageous like this, the media hit on it, people like me share it, and they get publicity.  Even if we readers do not enter, the story provided us with a wee bit of entertainment.

100% illegal lottery/raffle.

Hot Pepper, why do you think it is illegal?  Willing to bet the essay part is how they get around the accusation that it is a raffle.  Also since the state and university are involved via their county extension office that an exemption could be had if it is illegal.  Government is weird.  They create laws and then exempt things they want to happen.  Like Walmart going into a place and not having to pay taxes for X number of years.

Willing to bet the state would rather keep getting their taxes and the state agriculture dept would like to see the goat farm continue.

But yes,it seems to be a raffle.  I might not think so if there was not a 200 word limit, but not sure how they could judge merit in 200 words or less.

I suppose they found loopholes but in reality it is a raffle and raffles are illegal in AL... in some states they allow them with a permit but almost all have to benefit a npo. But in AL they are straight up illegal. 

So I guess it's an essay contest with an entry fee... on the surface. But in reality it's loopholes to raffle it off. Are they going to read those essays? LOL... or pull one out of a hat goat's ass!  ;)

Well good luck to them!

Heckler, so we are up to a Goat Farm, a Bead and Breakfast, and now a Home.  I like the essay idea, but thinking of it as nothing more than a lottery seems like the odds are a whole lot better than what the various states offer.  Wife buys lots of power ball tickets, or what ever it is called.  Think we won 7 bucks once.

Back