• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

7-pot myth or maddness

I have guys and gals wanting to know what is the meaning of the 7-pot and has anyone really tested it.7pots and how much in each pot,Are we sure its not 7 big bowls.And when did we start calling some 7-pods instead of 7pots.Also i have to tell them its NOT POT(cannabis).Help me enlighten my coworkers my good friends on THP. ;)

Just a landrace name.  There are threads about "7 Pot vs 7 Pod" elsewhere on THP.

Doubt anybody tested it - bit subjective - one hab could flavour 7 pots for some peeps.  But it is supposed to be the origin of the name - I think denoting that it was HOT.  Hotter than any of the other things that were available.

" 7 POT " is of course the official local name given to these variations of Trinidad pepper. When people are harvesting '7 Pot Pods' its hard for some not to be drawn into the lazier " Picked some of my ripe 7 Pods today " .. as saying 7 Pot Pods would become tongue twisterish ..

In reference to the '7 Pots' of stew ...

I do believe that 1x 7 Pot pod would be enough 'Heat' to create a warmth in 7 pots of stew .. Not at a mouth burning level of course but enough to get the warmth and some small flavour.  Remembering that 1 scoville heat unit requires 1 ml  of water to neutralise its heat if you have a 1m scoville heat pod... your talking 1,000 litres to neutralise it... Lets say a nice warmth in the mouth is 500 scovilles , a 1m scoville pod should warm about 2 litres of water...

Time you add solids like meat and veg.. Your probably getting close to 4 litres at 500 scovilles ..  If you get a nice hot 7 Pot like a Barrackapore or Douglah.. your talking 1,300,000 - 1,500,000 scovilles .. so about 6 litres of stew at 500 scovilles... divide that up by a family of 3 getting a 300ml bowl of stew each with a chunk of bread ... Yeah , I can see 7 servings for a family of 3...

You get the idea... Its not so much an exact science and I'm sure it was a general reference to being amazingly hot... but its basis has some fact to it. :P

Who knows... Maybe this was some early form of primitive scovilles heat test ... 1 Pod could be felt in x amount of food... and due to the exceptional heat of 7 Pots they thought it was so impressive it needed to be put into its name.

Thank you guys for the help...That I get questions from the Bell Pepper crowd is uplifting.I am trying to enlighten them to some history and myths that surround our hobby.

KrakenPeppers said:
Time you add solids like meat and veg.. Your probably getting close to 4 litres at 500 scovilles ..  If you get a nice hot 7 Pot like a Barrackapore or Douglah.. your talking 1,300,000 - 1,500,000 scovilles .. so about 6 litres of stew at 500 scovilles... divide that up by a family of 3 getting a 300ml bowl of stew each with a chunk of bread ... Yeah , I can see 7 servings for a family of 3...

You get the idea... Its not so much an exact science and I'm sure it was a general reference to being amazingly hot... but its basis has some fact to it. :P

3 minutes on THP and I'm hungry...  :shocked:

KrakenPeppers said:
Remembering that 1 scoville heat unit requires 1 ml  of water to neutralise its heat if you have a 1m scoville heat pod... your talking 1,000 litres to neutralise it... Lets say a nice warmth in the mouth is 500 scovilles , a 1m scoville pod should warm about 2 litres of water...

Unless I misunderstand the scoville scale, that's not how it works.

Scoville rating is the ratio you have to dilute to neutralize it. 1M scoville would be diluted to one part per million to make the heat undetectable. Your numbers work if you have a small (equivalent to 1mL) piece of a pepper.

Of course, I've been mistaken before, and I could be mistaken now. Certainly seems like one superhot in a 2 litres of stew would be hotter than 500 scovilles though

Well your correct but slightly off... It was one whole pepper.. dried and powdered then dissolved in alcohol to extract capsanoid's.. This was added to a sugar water solution to be tested. It was then a matter of adding water until the heat was no longer detectable.

What I said before was pretty accurate however I realised I used ml of water instead of drops of water which is about a 20th of a ml .. So its well off in my calculations .. but it all reads back to the same thing.. I nice large Juicy 7 Pot could put a lot of heat into a large dish .. lol

There are many other factors to take into consideration too.. Remembering that once a capsanoid is in your mouth the heat of temperature is felt more in the mouth so hot stew would feel HOTTER than it actualy is...

So you're saying that one superhot pepper is only enough to heat one tenth of a litre  to 500 scovilles? That sounds really low to me, but what do I know?

At least I have the right idea in thinking that scoville rating has nothing to do with volume, only dilution ratio. One teaspoon of a particular powder and 100 teaspoons of the same powder measure the same. Or maybe I misunderstand that too.

Concentration of capsaicin will vary pod to pod and variety to variety (obviously) so gram for gram all powdered chilli will vary..

The test states that a 1m scoville pod will heat each ml of water to 980 scovilles, this allows for 20,000 scovilles of dilution and the excess of 980,000 ( this I guessed at 500 per ml I said in an earlier post wasn't accurate and then my math went all out of whack my apologies )

Keep in mind that capsaicin is cumulative , so if you were to swish 10 mls around your mouth it would probably feel like 9800 and where you to do 100 you would get a 98,000 hit ..

This accurate information would mean that should you dilute 1 litre to 7 .. Allowing for another loss of 140,000 for dilution , each 100 mls would still feel like 10,500 scovilles
And that is reasonable heat...

This however does not take in to account water dispersion heat loss as the figures are based on a concentrate heat of the 100 mls .. So relatively it may only feel like 1000 or 3000 or similar ..

So you could make 7 pots of 1 litre of stew and still get jalapeño bite potentially ....

Appologies to transient exuberance for my earlier miscalculations .. My brain was on autopilot lol
Now thinking on this all ... If I have 1 scoville and add 1 drop of water I should feel zero scovilles .. If I had 2 scovilles and add one drop , is it 50% heat and back to 1 scoville?
Or if I have 3 scovilles and add 1 drop is it 33% loss and down to 2 ?

Because looking back .. Would it in turn take 25 litres of water to nullify half the heat .. Leaving half the remaining dispersed over the 25 litres ...

Shits getting weird in my brain atm lol Im giving up on this one

To work this out I would need a dilution to volume calculator and I don't care to wreck my brain further ...

LETS JUST SAY 1 POD CAN HEAT 7 POTS OF STEW

Back