• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Dim Sum Throwdown

Dim Sum

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
WOW! These are great!

Honestly just glanced so far but kudos for stepping up to the plate... and plating SUM serious DIM!!!!!

VOTE!!!!! 48 hour poll.

Not a lot of entries this round. The ones that did really brought it. Was a hard decision between ozzy and miss whip cracka I mean salsalady. 

Both had a nice variety of options to choose from, Ozzy's pork buns with the sugary goodness, and those crispy looking potstickers mmm
Salsaladies spring rolls, sushi ect. The pics where beautiful. 

Everyone did a great job. 

We had 3 no-show entries...

Marcie "Marcied" per my prediction LOL!!!!! (nice start too)
TB's chicken tasted like butt water so he quit...
And geeme was not feeling well (hope you feel better geeme!)

That leaves 4 and from what I've seen, they are killer! Still need to look. :)

SNF absofukinlutely KILLED IT imo. The pic of Dan Tat took me right back to the heart of Oaklands Chinatown, back in the day when I lived in the Eastbay. I used to pick up a few baked pork buns ($.50 each) and a few Dan Tat ($.39 each) every week.

I can't believe SF didn't pop that "home smoked pork belly" pic in the final! I actually just went hunting for that pic.

That would have been killer as the pic right before the chopped version in the dumpling. Just sayin'!!!!!!!!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Nope...

SmokenFire's own pic... :)

SmokenFire said:
Putting everything together:

Home smoked pork belly for char siu bao

b7zb77.jpg

This was really tough for me.  I liked them all.  I had to read each one twice and then narrowed it down to two and read one more time.  Key, yours are great except for one thing, your oil wasn't hot enough so the frying left your end result oily.  At the end it came down to Smokenfire and that awesome pork belly and SL and that amazing plum sauce.  Nod goes to SL.

Smoken stole my vote for Ozzy. 

Ozzy, it was all yours, buddy, then he just up and took it. I think I overlooked his entry at first, and then just did some careful reading. 
I think his fried dumplings were the culprit. 
Smoken gets it. Great job. 

Ozzy, great job too. I tried to vote for 2, but it wouldn't let me! 

Hell, great job KBK and SL also! This should be a close one. They really were all so masterfully executed. 

JayT said:
  Key, yours are great except for one thing, your oil wasn't hot enough so the frying left your end result oily.  

Sorry JayT et. al if I am re-stating something basic... but I felt it needed saying just so that there isn't confusion. I could also be misunderstanding the statement you are making.  lol.

There wasn't any oil involved really. i.e. no frying. These were steamed in a pan with holes over some boiling water for ten minutes. What might be viewed as oil in the picture was probably water, if anything. I did spray the holed part of the pan with cooking spray to prevent sticking, but that's about all the oil there was. I dusted with corn starch to also help with sticking, some didn't completely disappear on the ends but most did.

Jay busted for not reading! :D

The Hot Pepper said:
I can't believe SF didn't pop that "home smoked pork belly" pic in the final! I actually just went hunting for that pic.

That would have been killer as the pic right before the chopped version in the dumpling. Just sayin'!!!!!!!!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

I went back and forth on that for a while.  Opening post said 3 dim sum = 7 pics though, so I knew I'd have to cut one from the final.  That's why I posted the pork belly recipe from my prep earlier in the thread.  To me that pic with the shu mai being filled was just too good to swap out.  :)

Ah! Okay. Personally I would have left out the overall uncooked ingredients in the packages... :)

But we all do it differently.

Killer entry!

keybrdkid said:

Sorry JayT et. al if I am re-stating something basic... but I felt it needed saying just so that there isn't confusion. I could also be misunderstanding the statement you are making.  lol.

There wasn't any oil involved really. i.e. no frying. These were steamed in a pan with holes over some boiling water for ten minutes. What might be viewed as oil in the picture was probably water, if anything. I did spray the holed part of the pan with cooking spray to prevent sticking, but that's about all the oil there was. I dusted with corn starch to also help with sticking, some didn't completely disappear on the ends but most did.

Sorry Key, THP is right, I didn't read the cooking method close enough.  My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back