• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Bamboos!

Hi all.

I am looking to grow some bamboo as a form of coverage . Preferably something quite hardy and happy in the shade, thin shoots/stems, grows to about 4-6 ft. Will be growing them in planters so I don't mind if they "spread".

Any suggestions? Thanks.

I remember seeing Black Bamboo (phyllostachys nigra) growing well in a container in a pub garden in my hometown of Maidstone, Kent. It's a very attractive plant.

I paid quite a lot for one I ordered from a nursery here but the bloody thing died!

Fastest growing plant known.
I have never grown it but I see established plants in my neighborhood that the seeds are dropping off because there are new plants popping up 10' away.
kentishman said:
I remember seeing Black Bamboo (phyllostachys nigra) growing well in a container in a pub garden in my hometown of Maidstone, Kent. It's a very attractive plant.

I paid quite a lot for one I ordered from a nursery here but the bloody thing died!
That sucks. The black bamboo is beautiful.

One of my favorite plants to grow is clumping tropical bamboo. Most just see the yellow crap, and think its nothing special. I have been into growing bamboo for quite a few years now, and have come across some amazing varieties. I have stood in the midst of bamboo so big, the culms(stalks) were like tree trunks. Giants that are so big, you almost can't believe it. I have stood in groves where everywhere you look practically, were blue stalks surrounding you. I have walked in forests of it, where everywhere you look is large tall culms reaching almost a hundred feet in height. One culm, can achieve its maximum height in one growing season. So those rare types that can come close to or actually exceed one hundred feet in height, do so in a matter of months! I will have to dig around and look for those pics I have. Here is one of my plants called  Dendrocalamus minor 'Amoenus'. It is a tropical clumper, produces a white powder bloom on striped green culms. Very pretty, and incredibly fast growing. It just started shooting.
IMG-20150612-00045.jpg

IMG-20150612-00043.jpg

IMG-20150612-00044.jpg

IMG-20150612-00038.jpg

One of the most impressive massive bamboos!
D.gigantea258.jpg

d_giganteus_charles_teh.jpg

resize_image2.php.jpg

Calamari Kid said:
Hi all.

I am looking to grow some bamboo as a form of coverage . Preferably something quite hardy and happy in the shade, thin shoots/stems, grows to about 4-6 ft. Will be growing them in planters so I don't mind if they "spread".

Any suggestions? Thanks.

What are your lowest temps, and how large of a container will the bamboo be in? I might be able to give you some nice suggestions..

Back