13 replies to this topic

#1 facultyoffood

facultyoffood

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:22 AM

I have been working with my first hot sauce - a sauce that incorporates great flavor and a mild taste to boost metabolism ( for fitness related goals )

I did some initial research and found Fresno peppers being a mild yet sweet pepper; and also quite popular and easily accessible.

I however, was wondering - is it more economical to buy dry, fresh, or powder?

and moreover, which is more tasty in your opinion - dry fresh or powder?

any tips and recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jonathan

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 bhut camp

bhut camp

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:42 AM

It's always best to use fresh or frozen pods for sauces

#3 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,519 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:05 AM

It's always best to use fresh or frozen pods for sauces

This is good advice.  Dried pods can be rehydrated too - and they have their use in sauces as well.  The one I try and avoid is powder mostly because my results have been less than desirable (sauce turned out gritty).  

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#4 RedtailForester

RedtailForester

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,390 posts
  • aka:Redtail, Red

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:40 AM

I've always found powders lose a lot of their flavor compared to using fresh or frozen. In a pinch they will work. 

COME FOR THE HEAT.....STAY FOR THE FLAVOR!!!
Visit us at http://www.redhawkpeppers.com

Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook....kPremiumPeppers

#5 ErolDude

ErolDude

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

I'd deff go with fresh  :dance:

I ate the reaper raw, My anal is on fire!!!!! I ate the reaper to be the species. I put it in the burger meat, and chopped on the raw top. I eated it, and the anal is on fire!!! and the anal mouth."I want to put my anus sickle. Hot fire mouth makes me very hot. I'm glad someone else has a passion for anal pounding heat"

#6 SavinaRed

SavinaRed

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:46 AM

Fresh for sure !!!

#7 turbo

turbo

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • aka:Turbo

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:24 AM

For me, it really depends on what flavors you want in your sauce.  Asking fresh vs dry peppers for a sauce, is like asking should I use grapes vs raisins, or fresh tomatoes vs sun dried tomatoes in a recipe.  Drying a fruit / veggie out will change its flavor profile.  So figure out what flavors do you want in your finished product, then work backwards towards the ingredients that give you that flavor.  I personally don't use dried peppers for most of my sauces, but I do have one sauce that I make that has 3 different kinds of dried peppers in it. 

#8 robbyjoe01

robbyjoe01

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts
  • aka:robby joe

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:56 AM

Fresh

#9 RedtailForester

RedtailForester

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:44 PM

Honestly, I prefer frozen for one simple reason. During the freezing process, the cell walls shatter. If you are making a sauce, this will help make a smoother sauce.

#10 D3monic

D3monic

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,560 posts
  • aka:D3
  • (x6)

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:46 PM

Honestly, I prefer frozen for one simple reason. During the freezing process, the cell walls shatter. If you are making a sauce, this will help make a smoother sauce.

That's some good advice and makes sense. 

Find me on Instagram

Can I help it if I'm one of those fanatical TD fans?I got my #3 Demonic jersey on, my face is painted, and I cant stop yelling WOOOOOO!!

#11 turbo

turbo

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • aka:Turbo

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:00 AM

You know, I never thought of that.  But I made a calypso sauce from frozen fatalii peppers this year and it had an awesome thick smooth consistency.  I'm going to have to try and experiment with that this year.  Maybe my next sauce, split the peppers in two, freeze half over night and make the same sauce from both and see what the differences are.  Thanks for the tip!

#12 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,519 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:04 PM

I do this with peppers from the garden as they ripen on the plant.  Just keeping adding to the bags as new peppers ripen, pretty soon there's enough for sauce.  ;)

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#13 facultyoffood

facultyoffood

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:37 PM

Thank you. I will definitely note of that!
However, would freezing the fresh peppers kill the nutrition?

#14 RedtailForester

RedtailForester

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:54 PM

Damn!!! Did I just give away Red Hawk's secret to awesome sauces!?!?!?!?!?  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests