• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plant Tags/Markers What you prefer?

What do you guys use for identifying your plants in the garden? 

Last year I used some cheapy plastic tags and by end of summer most of them had vanished.

Looking online and doesn't seem that local depot or menards really carries anything that works great.

I had the idea of using paint stir stick but my dad said he did that last year and they didn't really hold up.

T tags seem like they may last a little better but not sure on how bad marker may fad on them http://www.walmart.com/ip/37812759?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227026148838&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=52457577911&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=84022284431&veh=sem

I would just paint the name on a small brick but I have 50 Different varieties to mark. 

Just curious what has worked for you guys in the past that you was happy with. It's hard ordering something online because you can't tell how sturdy it is. 

Probably depends on how exposed to the sun it is. ... I know you're not the only one who is going to mark their plants, what everyone else using?

Guess this explains the 10000 ID this plant threads, lol no one is marking their shit.

I paint rocks.  Tried the craft sticks I use indoors, they rot.  Tried garden stakes, they break off when I move them from one year to the next.  Tried the little plastic things, but they seem to wander.  I also keep a map.

ajdrew said:
I paint rocks.  Tried the craft sticks I use indoors, they rot.  Tried garden stakes, they break off when I move them from one year to the next.  Tried the little plastic things, but they seem to wander.  I also keep a map.

I was considering using the small top cap bricks that are much thinner than a normal brick but I would need 50 of them. That's a lot of bricks to buy and paint. I was contemplating on keeping a map as a backup that's actually a really good idea. 

I'm growing 50 dif types of peppers but only 1-3 of each type so it's not like i'm going to have a big row of just reapers per say 

I've been using bulk food tags from the local supermarket, with a fat black sharpie.

They hold up well so long as they don't wind up on the surface where the paper stains badly.  They will look a little beat after a full year of sun and rain, but remain legible.

tags.jpg

Heavy white plastic knives. Write the name on the top and bottom with a Sharpie. If the sun fades the top, the bottom that has been in the soil stays legible.

Sometimes I use gray duct tape on the pot and a Sharpie.

Right now I have a box of 1000 plant tags. They work ok. After a while in the sun the marker fades. No matter whether its tape or the cheap plastic marker.

I use these: http://www.plastrip.com/self-tie-labels-loop-labels-2.html

I write on them with a pencil and they last ages - I have not had to replace one.  For container plants (I use 20 liter heavy micron polythene grow bags) I make a small slit about 5cm from the open end of the bag and loop them through that.

For in the ground palnts I use aluminium wire, looped over on one end.  I stick it into the ground at the base of then plant and attach the label to the loop.

With over 400 plants this is something I'm trying to figure out as well. Some good ideas here. Only 50 or so are going into pots the rest into raised beds and ground. I was toying with cutting up solo cups to write the name on and then punching a hole in that piece and running a zip tie through it and around the base of the plant. Greenhousemegastore sells a pen that the ink is supposed to be UV/fade resistant. Was thinking of trying it out. I will have a master list just in case. Many of the zip ties with label and plant tags have too small a space to write

Back