• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Mexican waiter's advice for hot sauce

Down in Mexico for March break, I started discussing hot sauce with the waiter.

According to him, the "Mexican way" to make hot sauce is to grill some onion, garlic and habaneros and/or jalapenos, maybe blacken them a bit, then blend them up with some salt and vinegar.

Sounds good to me.

Im pretty sure I know why and its a legit secret over looked everytime
Manteca is used in legit "Mexican"
It makes a difference in most all dish's,tamales,tortillas(especially fried for dipping chips etc)
Blanching the peppers in the same fry oil is what adds the "difference".
SL3 said:
Best I had in Mexico they did a quick deep fry of the peppers before making the salsa. I've yet to duplicate it. It was outstanding. I found one place here in So Cal that does it this way, but they're not sharing.  

TNKS said:
Im pretty sure I know why and its a legit secret over looked everytime
Manteca is used in legit "Mexican"
It makes a difference in most all dish's,tamales,tortillas(especially fried for dipping chips etc)
Blanching the peppers in the same fry oil is what adds the "difference".

Me and my Mexican amigos have done that for years.

Toss a dozen or 2 into the deep fryer.

Lettem' get wrinkley a little bit.

Like a late 50's GILF.

On the side with bites in between of entree whatever....

Goodern' hell!

texas blues said:
Where TF have you been you stinkin' white Mexican???
Out in front of Home Depot trying to get people to come work for me. hahahaha

image.jpg

Thats the classic 'arbol' recipe. You can also horno roast over open flame. I use a variety of fresh and dried and mostly lemon for acid. I also roast a few cherry tomatoes in and might thicken with tomato paste. I leave out onions and salt...the salt mainly for health reasons.
If I have really fresh superhots it is nice tonadd a few whole and raw. Givenit a peppery flavor and a ton more kick...though acids will mellow the kick in a day or too.

Back