#OccupyFermenter

I find myself w/ painfully empty fermenters, and painfully little time this week.

I was at the store and figured I'd pick up some apple cider, or juice, or something that I could process w/ yeast and have some fun watching, instead of having empty jugs and lifeless airlocks ... but I really wasn't sure what I needed, so I held off.

What kind of fun, easy projects are out there?

Looking forward to this one ...

Wasn't down for $7 WLP for that, ordered some Red Star from Amazon w/ free shipping through Prime ...

Thanks.

I think HTH had a really simple recipe in that vein, I'll peep this thread ... if I recall, you blessed his recipe, LOL ...

The Mead I made for the Tudor party was really simple and used raisins and Orange for the yeast nutes. Came out about medium to medium-dry in sweetness. The Champagne yeast like Wheebz recommend will give you a really good dry mead, one that's also good to make sparkling mead with. Cotes De Blanc will give you a medium sweet and Nottingham Ale yeast will make a sweet mead.

Getting a mead to clear up can take a while. I got one to clear up by cold crashing 3 times and racking to another vessel. The other one used some Bentonite, man I'll not do that again. Hard to rack clear of that stuff without a conical fermenter so you can drain it off the bottom but of course I have a few ideas about that too

Wheebz' pooh-pooh'd plastic a few weeks ago, but for $40 this seemed like a fun time:

http://onlinebrewers.com/t/the-brewdemon-conicals-thread/56

I'd throw some mead in it, but I really need to order a chestie from Best Buy because CL's slow here - been watching for a month ...

Best Buy has pretty low prices right now, actually. Low enough that the people who do have things on CL haven't figured out that they are listing over-market-value for used ...

Sarasota people - what are you going to do? ...

I have a little VW, so I'm not picking one up from anywhere ...

Best Buy has free delivery on $400 orders, but I can't figure out what sizes I want. 2x five's ... a five and a ten ...  three five's ...

Bah.

I figure as I go, it'll become more clear, and I'll go forth.

wheebz said:
just keep it out of the light for the love of god

They have the amber option for the fermenters, but that's their prototype I think ...

It's only like $350-500 for SS one's, so it'll be interesting to see what they set as the price point ... especially w/ the $99 tear-drop white plastic one's ...

The Mead I made for the Tudor party was really simple and used raisins and Orange for the yeast nutes. Came out about medium to medium-dry in sweetness. The Champagne yeast like Wheebz recommend will give you a really good dry mead, one that's also good to make sparkling mead with. Cotes De Blanc will give you a medium sweet and Nottingham Ale yeast will make a sweet mead.

Getting a mead to clear up can take a while. I got one to clear up by cold crashing 3 times and racking to another vessel. The other one used some Bentonite, man I'll not do that again. Hard to rack clear of that stuff without a conical fermenter so you can drain it off the bottom but of course I have a few ideas about that too

An upside down milf jug, or better yet - kitteh litter container, is a useful shape. I've cut the container's bottom off and done little bottom-fed hydro lettuce rigs that way, running wicking rag into the handle and using the opening as a drain ...

That's cool.

Welding plastic, though? ... sounds "Ugh" ...

Stinky for sure, probably slightly poisonous ...

Oh, and definitely an 6 gallon flood risk ;)

#I'mNotHandy

no plastic welding is safe sir. dont hate on what is not understood.

you dont want to use a shitty soldering iron though. you want a good rod welder.... you push the rod down onto the heating element and work piece...  you can get very welds like this.

these tools are like 200 bucks though.

but hey you can fix cayaks and fuel tanks and junk when you get good at it.

Yeah, that's where I saw the $350-500 one's I'd mentioned ...

Can imagine getting an 7.3 short on wheels w/ the peltier bits ...

Can't imagine how you clean it in your house, though? ...

WLP001-only or something? ...

Back