• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting First Ferments (Orange Hab & Red Jalapeno)

I've made some pretty tasty simmered and blended sauces before with peppers from my garden, but I haven't been able to have a garden in two years as I live in a condo in Chicago.  I purchased peppers last week and made two mashes for separate hot sauces.  I've been into fermenting for a while.  Not long back I made kimchi and sauerkraut.  Both turned out very well. 

First: Red jalapenos (~2lbs), half a head of garlic, half of one mango, half of one pineapple, salt.
Second: Habaneros (~2lbs), half a head of garlic, half of one mango, half of one pineapple, salt.

Each was placed in a mason jar with an airlock.  The red sauce started fermenting on a day, but the orange took 3 days.  I've read lots of conflicting information on sauces so I'm not entirely sure how to leave them fermenting.  Once fermented I think I will add some carrot for swetness, but I'm very much open to suggestion.  Each are identical now aside from peppers, but I'm considering altering them each differently post-fermentation.

Wicked Mike is sending me two boxes of peppers and I plan to ferment those super hots as well.  For those I think I'll do a pure pepper and salt ferment and add additional ingredients as I blend/heat the sauces.   I think I'll really need to cut these so may add a lot of fruit and/or carrot.  One of my other sauces had a single ghost pepper in the small batch, but I have minimal experience with superhots. 

hot+sauce-final.jpg

Chicago rooftop shot -- super blurred Sears (Willis) Tower in the background to the right.  I may bring some plants up  there this year for a small grow.

hot+sauce.jpg

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.
Matt

Great start dude.  They look good.  I usually let my ferments run 3 - 6 weeks.  Some recipes go 3 months.  Depends really on what I'm after and what's inside.  The red jala ferment I do goes 6 weeks, then I pull and process.  Be sure to follow up w more pics in this thread when you process these! 

Very nice mate! My previous (first) ferment went for 30 days, then capped and aged in the fridge for a few months. I then brought it back out, added garlic, apple, and carrot and restarted the ferment for about 3 weeks before capping and aging in the fridge again. I ended up processing half after about a month into the 2nd aging, adding mango and a couple spoons of apple cider vinegar for flavor.

There are so many things you could do ;-)

Back