• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

SnF's Feastival!

NOTE:  tinypic previously hosted my photos.  They have closed after they were purchased by photobucket as news corp pushes people to pay for photo hosting.  I'll be replacing images here as I'm able.  Check out post image dot org for free photo hosting in lieu of pay sites...

Last night I made some poppers.  

poppers-plated.jpg

8oz brick cream cheese, softened
1 lb jalas
2 slices cooked bacon, chopped
4 oz shredded cheese
4 oz fire roasted salsa (home made)

Slice the jalas lengthwise and gut them.  Keep stem on, it serves as a handle.

all hollowed out and ready to stuff!

Mix the softened cream cheese with the bacon, shredded cheese and salsa.  Stir well to combine.

Get a spoon and make with the stuffing!!  Here they are ready to go topped with a bit of smoked jala powder:

And now to the grill we go!

Gently remove the poppers about 20-30 minutes later and plate.

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for posting that. My wife called earlier and said she picked up 5 lbs of jalas at the farmer's market today. Will be making a bunch of poppers. I like the idea of cutting in half and leaving the stem. Before I was coring them, then halving. But looks like the stem does give you something to help support it. And less likely for filling to run out the end too.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Very nice looking spread! Do you ever stuff them whole? 

Used to do them that way, but they never fit in the little tray holder very well at all.  This method is my work around.

Peter S said:
Before I was coring them, then halving. But looks like the stem does give you something to help support it. And less likely for filling to run out the end too.

Yup me too!  Stem on they don't spill out.  :)

Technically jalapeno pepper boats but yeah, looks great!

Looks great!

Do you harvest these jalapeños?  It's too biggest them!!! seem of more 4" long. My jalapeños grow no more than 2 or 3 inch.

cypresshill1973 said:
Do you harvest these jalapeños?  It's too biggest them!!! seem of more 4" long. My jalapeños grow no more than 2 or 3 inch.

CH1973 - these are from a local market I go to.  Yesterday was a great day - huge jalas, fresnos, nice habaneros and a great assortment of dried; piquin, guajillo, ancho and chile d'arbol.  I stocked up and am going to be making hot sauce for the next three days!  

The Hot Pepper said:
Technically jalapeno pepper boats but yeah, looks great!

Veddy intersting.

To me poppers are any stuffed chile, although usually jalapeno's.

They can be halved or whole.

Breaded and deep fried.

Baked.

Smoked.

Grilled.

Zippo lighter.

I ain't that picky.

But your post begs the question...

What is the definition of a "popper"?

And exactly what "defines" it and who is the authority that promotes it as THE POPPER!

Tried in court, there's a good chance there is no such 'thang as a popper and would be ruled as such.

A judge might say they're only small chile relleno's. 

Another judge might say Anchor Food Products was the first to market "POPPER'S" and claim a patent on the 

name, well I beg to differ.

The term "popper", meaning a stuffed jalapeno of any sort was around long before Anchor Foods.

So back to the question.

WHAT IS A POPPER?

Oh man don't even start. Just eat.

You know you can't start that discussion, the diehard BBQ crowd says all poppers are deep fried in batter and off the smoker or grill they are ABT... but I refuse to call any food a turd... except some of JayT's food.

texas blues said:

Veddy intersting.

To me poppers are any stuffed chile, although usually jalapeno's.

They can be halved or whole.

Breaded and deep fried.

Baked.

Smoked.

Grilled.

Zippo lighter.

I ain't that picky.

But your post begs the question...

What is the definition of a "popper"?

And exactly what "defines" it and who is the authority that promotes it as THE POPPER!

Tried in court, there's a good chance there is no such 'thang as a popper and would be ruled as such.

A judge might say they're only small chile relleno's. 

Another judge might say Anchor Food Products was the first to market "POPPER'S" and claim a patent on the 

name, well I beg to differ.

The term "popper", meaning a stuffed jalapeno of any sort was around long before Anchor Foods.

So back to the question.

WHAT IS A POPPER?

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/popper
The Hot Pepper said:
grill they are ABT...

What's ABT?
The Hot Pepper said:
except some of JayT's food.

Maybe if he took better pics?

The Hot Pepper said:
Oh man don't even start. Just eat.

You know you can't start that discussion, the diehard BBQ crowd says all poppers are deep fried in batter and off the smoker or grill they are ABT... but I refuse to call any food a turd... except some of JayT's food.

Touche' monsewer!

And concur.

And let me say this...

The bbq crowd didn't invent the popper or the ABT.

That's just a name for a bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeno gringo style.

My Tex-Mex cunado's were doing this long before fat gabacho bbq guys were doing it.

Back