• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Big Color Variation of Super Hots - Unripe

Picture of a rare Bih strain vs. a Dorset Naga. Last year, a friend of mine grew an unusual Bih Jolokia that is much lighter green that all others and larger pods (fatter). The plant is very weak in production unfortunately, but I love the pods.

See the big difference in color? :) Pic 1 = Bih ; Pic 2 = Dorset

Chris

P1060667.jpg

P1060669.jpg

Wow Chris that is a very nice pods one is lite green & another one is dark in color you have very nice selection this year hope you have good crop.The fist picture one of the pod is different in shape I wonder how hot they will be when you try those one day when they ripe.

The difference in color is obvious indeed. Aside from that the pods look great, as if they were about to jump at you and bite you if you look at them for too long.

Thanks for sharing some cool stuff once again Chris!

cmpman1974 said:
Picture of a rare Bih strain vs. a Dorset Naga. Last year, a friend of mine grew an unusual Bih Jolokia that is much lighter green that all others and larger pods (fatter). The plant is very weak in production unfortunately, but I love the pods.

See the big difference in color? :) Pic 1 = Bih ; Pic 2 = Dorset

Chris

I have unripe pods of both colors on my Naga Morich plants.
The younger pods are light green, though not quite as light as those in your pic,
and the older ones are dark like the other one you show. The oldest are even darker.

They reach nearly full size at the light green color, and then they become a darker and darker green (and get more wrinkled) as they get close to turning ripe.

Mine still have yet to turn orange/red, but the oldest pods are very dark green now.

Wish they'd hurry the hell up!

Are you sure that the color variation you see here isnt due to the different ages of the pods?

Hi everybody.

The plant mentioned by Chris has a very nice story.
In the early summer 2006 I contact Frontal Agritech asking some info about their Bih Jolokia; then I asked for some Bih Jolokia's powder and, if possible, some fresh pods (obviously the seeds were my true goal)
Leena Saikia was so kind to send me two pods together with the powder, but (as she already said me by email) deseeded!

Here they are!
I believe these were the first "naga" seen in Italy.

bja0.jpg

Although deseeded the pods were really big and it's difficult to take away all the seeds ...
So I had three seeds from one pod and two seeds from the other pod.
I grew a plant already from July 2006, another on spring 2007.
One seed didn't germinate.
Other two seeds were sent to Chris in exchange for other interesting varieties.

The plant born on summer 2006 didn't produce pods that year (where I live, Verona in Italy, winters are quite cold), but it overwintered (indoor) and never stop vegetating; in 2007 it produced a lot of pods which looks different from those of its "sister" and from any other Naga I grew.
Pods are bigger, more regular and when immature are coloured with a very light green (which become a bit darker while ripening); difficult to say if they are even hotter ...

Here some photoes of unripe and ripen pods (some in the next post because of limitation in number of images per post)

bja1.jpg

bja2.jpg

I asked Leena Saikia were are these strange pods coming from and she answer probably she sent me some pods from their new selection lines ...
Also she wrote me I was "lucky".

The plant is still alive today (it never stop vegetating since 2006) and ripening again a lot of pods.
Past year I can't obtain any isolated pod; I sowed some non pure seeds and obtain this year some plants with similar properties and other more "standard".
In 2008 however I was more lucky and I got already some isolated pods (now ripening).

So the story of this strain will continue ...

nice looking bihs/bhutts seen so many variations in colour on
bih/bhutts and Dorset/Morich plants i think sometimes people think there looking at a different strain sometimes..so much variation in the nagas :)

Back