• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

HOT QUESTIONS - Post Hot Sauce Making! (REALLY BAD)

I recently made my first batch of HOT SAUSSS and it was GHASTLY i almost blew my lungs out breathing in my vinegar fumes.

Ingredients

2 Green Jalapeno Peppers
3 Cloves Garlic
½ Teaspoon Toasted Cumin
½ cup vinegar
½ tablespoon salt
1 Side Mango
Half a yellow bell pepper
1 Strand Kombu

Strategy

Flame gun Jalapeno Peppers, Mango, and Bell Peppers
Prep - dice both peppers, discarded seeds (make sure seeds are intact next time
Roast Garlic in oven at 150C
Sous Vide Mangos Jalapeno Peppers Bell Peppers Kombu and add vinegar (less vinegar next time)

After 2 hrs of sous vide, and 1 hr of roasting, put them all into a blender
blend for 3-5 minutes straight - add salt to taste and cumin

result: my sinuses nearly died from the vinegar
strained vinegar and it was barely edible
discarded all contents

Recommendations?

question 1: I don't see many people using bell peppers in their recipe. Should I discard?
question 2: I can't quite find any red jalapenos (fresnos) within my vicinity (Vancouver, BC) - what are the best online perveyors for HOT PAPPERRRS?
question 3: fermentation vs vinegar = i'm currently fermenting the batch of green jalapenos right now (mush) will have to wait another 2 weeks; anyone got any tips on the different tastes?
question 4: how much vinegar is too much? just until it hits ph below 4 right?
question 5: anyone worked with kombu before? for Umami
question 6: I see some people cooking their mash and some not. TO COOK OR NOT TO COOK??
question 7: My diet cannot tolerate much salt. Besides spices, what other salt recommendations do you have to boost the flavor of the mash?
question 8: Why are you so awesome? Thank you so much for answering all these questions.

THP, I've only been here for 2 weeks but you guys have treated me really well with learning how to create/use my hot sauce. Thank you for all the support and familial inclusion.

Welcome to the land of Awsomeness :party:

I use vinegar - various but generally white spirit vinegar.  I also use freshly squeezed lemon juice for some of my other sauces (especially molho de piri piri).

I add half water half vinegar.  Then when I cook down a lot of the vinegar cooks off.  Then I add various spices (depending on what it is I'm making) and cook them in and also balance out the acidity with sugar and salt.  Still too acidic - add water and carry on cooking.

I generally add my heat in separately - i do not like to cook certain chiles - they develop a "plastic" taste - all the nuances are gone and a strange plastic floral taste remains.  I will make a base and then in the last minute or so throw in the hot stuff.  let it cool and then blitz it.

The problem with bell peppers is that they very thick-fleshed and it takes quite some time to blitz them into puree with other things involved. 

For umami I add soy sauce or even miso paste.  I also use fish sauce (sparingly though because it is so easy to end up with seriously fishy sauce).  lately I have been using oyster sauce - double umami!  Soy and oyster juice!  Yum!

I find the trick is to balance sugar and salt levels - it will preserve the sauce as well without it having to be super acid tasting.

Hmmmmm super acid - anyone say Double-dipped Hoffmans?

facultyoffood said:
I recently made my first batch of HOT SAUSSS and it was GHASTLY i almost blew my lungs out breathing in my vinegar fumes.

Ingredients

2 Green Jalapeno Peppers
3 Cloves Garlic
½ Teaspoon Toasted Cumin
½ cup vinegar
½ tablespoon salt
1 Side Mango
1 Strand Kombu

Strategy

Sous Vide Mangos Jalapeno Peppers Bell Peppers Kombu and add vinegar (less vinegar next time)

discarded all contents

Recommendations?

question 1: I don't see many people using bell peppers in their recipe. Should I discard? 

No, I use bells often,  especially when working with superhots.,  They are a good way to bulk up the sauce and tone down heat.
question 2: I can't quite find any red jalapenos (fresnos) within my vicinity (Vancouver, BC) - what are the best online perveyors for HOT PAPPERRRS?
There's lots of chiles for sale, check the classified here on THP.  However---shipping to Canada of fresh pods may be an issue.  Shipping times as well as customs could result in a box 'o mush.  Talk to your local produce manager.  They can order in pretty much anything.  If the know someone wants red chiles, they can get them.  PS- red Fresnos are not the same as red jalapenos.  Red jalapenos are hard to come by in the off season.  Even here in Washington, they aren't in stores except in the fall.
question 3: fermentation vs vinegar = i'm currently fermenting the batch of green jalapenos right now (mush) will have to wait another 2 weeks; anyone got any tips on the different tastes?
If it's fermented properly, you don't need vinegar.  For other ingredients, keep it simple.  For the batch you just made, I personally wouldn't mix green jalapenos with mango and yellow bell.  Flavors don't work for me.  I tend to add ingredients by color.  Mango and yellow bell with red or yellow chiles.  Green chiles + onion, garlic, maybe apple, green bells if needed.
That's the goal.
Nope-
question 6: I see some people cooking their mash and some not. TO COOK OR NOT TO COOK??
It's up to you.  Cooking stops the fermentation process.  If uncooked, it's strongly suggested to refrigerate it, the flavor will continue to change/develop slowly over time.
question 7: My diet cannot tolerate much salt. Besides spices, what other salt recommendations do you have to boost the flavor of the mash?
tamari
question 8: Why are you so awesome? years and years of practice.  :lol:  (J/K~)Thank you so much for answering all these questions. Y/W~

THP, I've only been here for 2 weeks but you guys have treated me really well with learning how to create/use my hot sauce. Thank you for all the support and familial inclusion.

Not every swing results in a hit.  Keep at it.  You'll figure out what you like and what works for you.

SL

I like vinegar based sauces, but I never use white distilled vinegar.  My old go-to vinegar was Napoleon white wine vinegar.  Its not as acidic (harsh) in flavor, and has a bit of sweetness to it.  My new go-to vinegar is cane sugar vinegar (found in most Asian grocery stores).  Still has a low pH value, but not harsh at all and is sweet enough I don't have to add as much sugar to a sauce to balance out the acidity.  Really makes a nice sauce.  I've also found that rose wine vinegars are soft enough in flavor to blend with a white wine vinegar to make a softer flavor.

facultyoffood said:

Ingredients

2 Green Jalapeno Peppers
3 Cloves Garlic
½ Teaspoon Toasted Cumin
½ cup vinegar
½ tablespoon salt
1 Side Mango
1 Strand Kombu

Strategy

discarded all contents

Recommendations?

Hi! Welcome to a totally addictive hobby. The good news is that your sauces will only get better from here. :cheers:

So first off, 1/2 C vinegar to 2 jalapeno peppers is not an ideal ratio, as you've discovered. The "rule of thumb" I've heard is "1/3 of your total volume should be acid". Now that's a rough estimate and says nothing about the flavor profile you're trying to achieve. But to best achieve balance, weigh your ingredients in grams. Cups, tsp, Tbsp etc don't help you to tweak or scale your recipes as easily, and you'll go crazy trying to do the math in figuring out the ratios.  Especially with fruit - 1/2 of a mango today might be more than the mango you buy tomorrow. Cut up the mango, weigh the meat & record in grams. That way your recipe can be made again, which allows you to add/reduce ingredients to taste. This is critical to improvement.  

Instead of "less vinegar", try "more everything else". :)

On to your questions: 

Bell peppers are fine, if you like bell peppers. I don't care for them myself, but they're peppery and they do add volume. The challenge for your recipe above is that they have no heat, so you're actually diluting the heat of the very few Jalapenos you have. 
I can't stand red jalapenos myself - they're too sweet for me and they lack the characteristic bitterness of the green, which I love. But a red jalapeno is just an overripe green jalapeno - ask your grocery store to bring some in - guaranteed they can get them from the same place they get the green ones. :cheers:

I don't ferment - I'll leave that to the fermentation experts to answer. 
That's the theory, but really 3.5 or lower is ideal. Lower pH = more acidic = less "activity" = safer/stable.  See ratio above, and go from there. It's ok to have a higher pH sauce, but it will need to be refrigerated after opening. And over 4.15 it will require constant refrigeration (e.g. not shelf stable) 
Never - sounds interesting. 
I defer to the experts here. 
I also try to minimize my salt intake. You can make a low sodium mash or pasteurized sauce. Totally up to you. 
question 8: Why are you so awesome? Thank you so much for answering all these questions.
I was born that way. :rofl:  Good luck with your sauce experimentation!   :cheers:

Speaking only to:

There are few ferments that I do NOT cook when the batch is done.  I do this to stop the fermentation so my woozys won't go boom when you open one in a month or three.  Fermentation achieves acidity to keep things safe but also helps provide a tart/sour note and brings out depth of flavor from the ingredients.  For personal use I have ferments that are now approaching a year old or more - sitting in the back of the fridge ready to be spooned into soups/sauces, etc - so if that's your aim you don't have to cook.

Anything you're going to bottle though?  Cook it or you risk it exploding on whoever opens it.   

facultyoffood said:

Ingredients

2 Green Jalapeno Peppers
3 Cloves Garlic
½ Teaspoon Toasted Cumin
½ cup vinegar
½ tablespoon salt
1 Side Mango
1 Strand Kombu

Strategy

discarded all contents

Recommendations?

Hello neighbor ... .well kind of , i'm in Alberta :p so if u need pods, lemme know haha i'll have some soon ! 

facultyoffood said:

If you mean the coughing and irritation, that is capsaicin being released into the air. The vinegar smell can fool you, but it is harmless. Make a gastrique, BBQ sauce, or other non-chili sauce and you will see. Hot vinegar, no problem.

What I like in a sauce to be the number one ingredient is the peppers. For example is a tomatillo sauce I use a pound of jalapeno's, a pound of serrano's and a pound of tomatillo's followed by other ingredients. Fruit and vinegar are lower on the list meaning less of those compared to the green vegetables in the sauce. Like others have said its a hot sauce so use plenty of peppers. Also I like bell peppers. I use green in my green sauces, orange in my orange sauces, yellow in my yellow, red in my red and so on and so forth. 

Once you get going and experimenting on what you like it becomes very addicting. Half of the fun is experimenting to find the flavor profiles that you like and enjoy.

Back