• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yellow Patches / Splotches - Disease v.s. Deficiency?

Making a new thread here, discussed with a few others over in the chat and have another thread specifically related to Thrips - but I'd like to get some more exposure to a recent problem in hopes of narrowing down the issue. A good amount of my plants (even different species) are showing varying patches / splotches of yellow on both new and old growth.  The veins also seem a bit yellow..

Here's the rundown:
  • Plants were hardened off correctly about a month ago
  • Fairly young plants battled Thrips for a few weeks, finally won with Spinosad.  Pyrethrin didn't do much besides burn new growth.
  • Transplanted from the 4" containers into permanent 5 gallon homes 2 weeks ago (were slightly rootbound)
  • The new soil mix is 70% FoxFarm Ocean Forest / 20% EarthWorm Castings / 5% Coco (trace amounts of Fish Bone Meal and Kelp Meal)
  • Have not gone crazy with fertilizer, only BigBloom and WhollyMackerel fish emulsion from FoxFarm every other week
  • Added CaMG+ every recent watering to rule out any Calcium issues
  • Made purposeful efforts not to water too much.  In the new pots I waited a week for the leaves to begin wilting.
  • Foliar sprayed leaves lastnight with some diluted Epsom spray
  • PH Levels seem correct at around 6.5 ish
  • Plants get full sun all day, average 70°F with a slight breeze @ 65% humidity

I've pinched off some of the distorted leaves from the Thrips, and it seems that new growth is starting to take off in the new pots.  However, the discoloration seems strange.  I've looked at the deficiency infographics, searched the forums and can't find anything that resembles this. Best guess has been Potassium or Nitrogen deficiency... but really hoping it's not something like Mosaic. 

From Chi-Chien plant:

pepper_Yellow_Patches.jpg

From Aji Limon:

pepper_Yellow_Patches2.jpg

pepper_Yellow_Patches3.jpg

suchen said:
Perhaps you are trying to overcorrect? Maybe just water with regular water for a few weeks.

Possibly, but i've done my best not to overdo it - and any fertilizers have been quite mild - BigBloom = 0.01 - 0.3 - 0.7, and WhollyMackeral Fish Emulsion =  3 - 1 - 0.  The last couple waterings before yesterday were actually straight water, (since being in the new pots).  In any event, i'll be sure to go straight again for the next few waterings.  Just want to make sure we aren't dealing with something that requires the plants to be tossed.

Maybe it's just the plants way of recovering from the bug battle, as they certainly didn't seem to like the Pyrethrin spray.  Some leaves look like this underneath, which may also be related to the Pyrethrin spray burning- but i'm not sure:

pepper_Brown_Spots.jpg

I thought I was getting this due to a sulfur deficiency once, but it turned out the plant just had a mutation where it would variegate the color on the leaves. The plant is still alive and flourishing and still has the variegation. (I was able to determine by means of time, and comparison to multiple plants in the same environment, treated the exact same way with the same medium)

Now, this may very well not be the same thing as the mutation is pretty darn rare, but It is a possibility until ruled out.

Back