• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaf Discoloration..... Newby

Hello....

Some of my small plants are starting to get this sort of leaf discoloration.  Any ideas as to what this might be?   Thanks!

2gslher.jpg

mpicante said:
Hello did you accidentally pour something on that leaf?
I agree with this... notice the discoloration is sitting within crevices - almost like fertilizer or pesticide saturated the leaves and could possibly have been "baked in". 

moruga welder said:
almost look like some sun burn . how did you harden them off ?
This is the most likely answer..... I only mist them with water but I put them out in the sun sometimes, perhaps for too long.  The odd thing is that it's only that leaf.... and there are several other plants like that with one or two leaves "burnt".  I'll have to get educated on how much sun they need at this stage.

Here's another one
15e7atd.jpg

TNKS said:
Looks cooked aka: sunburn
I wouldnt sweat it,the rest of the plant will press on
DO NOT CUT BACK on the sun,just let'em ride it out
They will recover as long as they never go dry

Thank you.... I live and learn!  It's been in the 70's only and a bit breezy.... but off to the shade they go!

hour, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,, then ready for 8,9, . or keep them under a shade cloth, shade tree bring them out a little more into the sun each day .   :onfire:

Got no picture yet - but several of my plants got the exact same thing, the very day I put them outside without ANY hardening off.

So +10000 for sunburn.

Hoping it isnt a big issue, and I'm pretty sure it is not.

Just curious for advice:
What is a simple and sufficient way to prepare plants for outside conditions, and how to know when it is correct to do so?
What should the outside temperatures be? Will sunburn hurt the plant significantly, or only stunt it shortly?

I took a bit of a risk, and tossed the majority of my plants outside about a week ago.

Gave them 2 days in daylight, bringing them in at night - and after that just left them outside constantly. They have been placed against a wall, shading them for half of the day. The wind has been a bit rough, with many days of 15 m/s winds. Temps are between 5 and 15 degrees celsius (41-60 F).

Damage so far: Many leaves torn apart or lost (about 50%). Few leaves have severe sunburn. Most leaves have marks (blackened edges) from rubbing against eachother in the tough winds (even the new growth.

What SHOULD one do to time the plantout correctly, and what measures should be taken to reduce the setback?

An example
2015-05-19%2015.56.09_zps4pnemphr.jpg

Coldgrowth said:

What SHOULD one do to time the plantout correctly, and what measures should be taken to reduce the setback?

Wait until after the last projected date of frost in your area, then slowly move the plants outside letting them get longer sunlight each day. Start with 1 hour a day, then 2, then 3, etc until they are exposed to full sun for 8 our so hours a day.

In my area this works in Feb/March, but toward the end of April the sun starts scorching if they are exposed for long periods, so I actually bought a shade cloth. This greatly moderates the effects of sunburn while still allowing the plants to get used to wind and the other elements.

Back