• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Large scale batches

Hey guys,

I'm gearing up for my second sauce making season and I'm going to try out some larger scale operations. I'm attracted to the idea of a continuous feed grinder/processor as opposed to [filling up a blender, mixing, pouring out, repeat] for preparing a large batch of mash. I'm absolutely willing to use a blender but I'm curious if anyone has advice on cranking out some mash from 10lb+ of peppers. Something like a meat grinder looks like the perfect device (or a squeezo without the straining) but I worry about it leaking. Maybe just use a squeezo on the largest-hole screen and combine the strain/pulp into the same container? 

I have a squeezo . Are you talking about using the pumpkin screen? I'm not sure how that would work. I have a large (14 cup) Cuisinart food processor. I put the metal chopping blade in the bottom and add peppers.It turns the peppers into a nice mash. I then put the mash into zip lock freezer bags and freeze until needed. This works well for me and doesn't take much time.

I'm not clear about what point of the process you need the appliance for.  If you are chopping up to make a ferment, then a cuisinalrt with a continuous feed chute and a large cheese grater plate will work.  At that step, the produce doesn't have to be superfine as it will breakdown during fermentation.

If you are talking about after fermentation, or when you want to blender the snot out of the sauce to get it nice and smooth for bottling, you are pretty much stuck with a blender or food processor unless you are looking to step up to a commercial food mill/screen which are $$$.

salsalady said:
I'm not clear about what point of the process you need the appliance for.  If you are chopping up to make a ferment, then a cuisinalrt with a continuous feed chute and a large cheese grater plate will work.  At that step, the produce doesn't have to be superfine as it will breakdown during fermentation.

If you are talking about after fermentation, or when you want to blender the snot out of the sauce to get it nice and smooth for bottling, you are pretty much stuck with a blender or food processor unless you are looking to step up to a commercial food mill/screen which are $$$.

Just prepping a big batch of mash for fermentation. I'm familiar with the process so I'm brainstorming a simple way to crank out a larger volume. I like the idea of a meat grinder or something and just crushing it all from a hopper feed. Like a manual version of this:

https://youtu.be/uydjkykVhEQ?t=1m44s

Big Al - 

Something like this will handle 600+ pounds of ingredients per hour.  Here is another option.  Both machines will handle about as much mash as you'll likely want to deal with at any one time.  Provided you have the ingredients to put through them, a purchase like that gets you into very large fermentation tubs indeed.  :)

Best of luck!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Waring makes some good ish!

Indeed they do.  They're the commercial division of Cuisinart, but I've worked with Waring equipment for the better part of a decade and have zero complaints.  My robocoup has been serviced/out of action twice in the same amount of time.

I'm not happy with my Waring 22" immersion stick blender, but that's a doifferent topic.  

Just bought a Robot Coupe continous feed....., NOT happy with the quality of the dicer plate, but the rest of it is fine. 

You can buy small procesors with the continuous feed option for  $30-$40 bucks.  If it gets you through one season, it's money well spent compared to a $$$ commercial rig.   

edit- my old blue chopper was probably 40 years old, motor worked just fine but the dicer plates are non-existent.  Tried to find replacements,,,,,but no-go. 

Hi guys, thank you for the topic.
I am also looking to upscale my equipment for larger batches but i don`t seem to find a big capacity blender. I am not using mash but i am directly blending fresh ingredients and then cook to thicken. The blenders i am using now are waring but with the 2ltr capacity is a pain when you are making 30ltr a day.
Any recommendations for good profesional blender? I have been looking at Robot Coupe Blixer Series?

hmm not sure? But I did find a machine that will turn dried hornworms and caterpillars into powder  :shocked:

HTB1fP_fKXXXXXbVXpXXq6xXFXXXG.jpg

lol:  when glancing through the above posts, I thought the ^ machine was for GINGER.  :lol:

but to Sandomax's question, I've looked periodically, but haven't' found an intermittent size food processor.  Just checked out the Blixer 60.  :eek: $20k for a new one, 60qts, 3-phase. 

Its not the best solution by any means, but I use a Ninja blender. Got it on sale for $79 at Best Buy, with the protection plan. I've burned out the motor  twice, and had it replaced free of charge. Considering it isn't intended for commercial use, I'm pretty satisfied. I wouldn't mind if it were larger.

I got one of these, a WSB50, for my hot sauce business.  After about 45 minutes the sauce still wasn't nearly as smooth as with my ancient osterizer blender, but it was blending about 20 gallons.  I think with more time it would have continued to get smoother.

I read somewhere that the WSB40, the cheaper Waring model, is actually made much more cheaply and doesn't have the same warranty.  The WSB50 is the smallest truly commercial model they sell.

Back