• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Carnitas sushi rolls- BAM!!!

Really been craving sushi but can't eat out anymore due to a shellfish allergy I developed eating too much sushi. 

I bought all the stuff to make some at home for wifey and me and had the brilliant or shitty idea of making some out of carnitas meat. 

Here's the game plan.

I'm currently smoking a porkloin over alder and peach wood. seasoned with toasted cumin, smoked goats weed and smoked pequins, garlic and some other random seasonings. 

As for the rolls, I was going to do Cilantro lime rice outside, inside, roasted pablano and carnitas meat, I haven't decided where the avocado and pickled red onions are going to go. Thinking either would make a nice garnish ontop while the pickled red onion could add a nice color contrast on the inside. 

I also got some panko crumbs so can make crunch rolls and sriracha mayo , wasabi ect. maybe sprinkle a little green onion over the top for color. 

Opinions and suggestions GO!

Sounds good. I like sushi like that. I've had BBQ chicken rolls. 

I'd go with traditional sushi rice (sushi meshi/vinegared rice) I think the vinegar will play nicely with the BBQ but add some cilantro, lime zest, and orange zest to it. Inside I'd do the carnitas with avocado and a little BBQ sauce.

Something like that.

The Hot Pepper said:
I'd go with traditional sushi rice (sushi meshi/vinegared rice) I think the vinegar will play nicely with the BBQ but add some cilantro, lime zest, and orange zest to it. Inside I'd do the carnitas with avocado and a little BBQ sauce.

Something like that.

I got reg jasmine rice but when ever I make it with the lime juice and stuff it gets really sticky, that's why I figured it might work good. I do have some seasoned rice vinegar on hand though. First time making sushi

was thinking a jalapeno and lime infused soy sauce would be nice with some sriracha mayo drizzled over or in them. 

Not sure how I feel about bbq sauce though, prolly go a different route

Sounds good! Soy sauce might be a little overpowering, with BBQ I want to taste all the flavors, I don't even use it much with sushi just a tad if so but often I make my own sauces for sushi and they are lighter but spicy. 

instead of my typical crispy meat I need to make it more slow cooker soft for this. After smoker not sure if I should put into slow cooker or just pan and wrap with foil and cook it with lots of juicies/sauce in oven

Just please include pictures.  This sounds great and I would definitely replicate it.  I like the lime rice, and agree that the jasmine rice can get pretty sticky. 

Back