• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Getting the most heat out of your plant

Wow, lots of different posts by me today.

What's everyone's growing/soil techniques for getting the most heat out of your peppers?

lol, seriously, I don't have any secrets, but I've read that the peppers really like to be kept warm and stuffy but out of direct sunlight.

T

The reason I ask is because I've heard that you can incress the hotness of your peppers via soil amendments/ph balance etc etc.

I think you can, but you really need to almost be a botanist to figure out what those amendments are.

We're going to be working on a project with America's Best that evolves along lines something like what we're skirting around here, and of course, we'll keep the world posted on what is learned, but honestly, I'm not sure that there have been any specific tests of that type done yet...

I'll in contact with some folks who might know stuff like that, I'll ask them and let you know if I come up with any info.

In the meantime, I curious as to what our other growers' thoughts are on the topic.

T

Huh? I've been working at my day job, and spending my nights following up with all the people from the show. This has become a second full time job...I kind of like this one better. Christ, our mailing list is near 800 people now. I just received the newsreel we were on, pretty good plug with Dave Dewitt, and even the weatherman...Funny stuff.

Tina Brooks said:
And I thought DC was scary??? :shock:
LOL. Ya, I tried to come up with the most oddball-ishly(I just made a new word! Huray!) disturbing past time one could have...the rocks were what popped into my mind.

oh ya, now that I'm scared, you're gonna pretend that ya don't really dress up rocks in barbie doll clothing... suuuuuuuuure. :roll:

I was born in the morning, not THIS morning.

T

I've heard that pepper plants don't like too much water and the hotter the climate the hotter the peppers....so the ones I grow down here are pretty damn hot...

We plant anywhere from 20 to 30 plants a year. That's all we really have time for. Our soil is ..well...basically sand! Very HOT air temps in the summer. In general, the heat of the peppers usually varies from plant to plant. Can't explain it. Same type plant, same weather, same soil, go figure :D

Back