• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help identifying this variety

Hi all,

I was given this chilli plant and have been trying to identify what type of chilli it is online with no luck. The plant has small purple flowers and the peppers seem to go from green to black to red. The seeds are also black and it is unbelievably hot even without the seeds.

I took this photo and have pasted it below but if you need a closer picture I can add another.

Thanks for your help!

17864220476_095343bffc_z.jpg

+1 Capsicum pubescens.

Growing a Cabe gendot plant this year, as I seen from pictures this is also like yours, an elongated rather than "apple" shape. It is an Indonesian pepper. Since is close to you, could be this too.

Thank you for your help! I just read up on the Capsicum pubescens and it seems to match the description. It's well below 20 degrees just about every day here now coming in to winter and the seeds seem to sprout with no issues at all once planted even outside where it is as low as 5-10 degrees overnight.

What is the best way to preserve the fresh fruit? I read conflicting information from various websites so I figure actual growers would have the best suggestions?

Thanks again!

method said:

What is the best way to preserve the fresh fruit? I read conflicting information from various websites so I figure actual growers would have the best suggestions?

Thanks again!

If you want as fresh as possible for long term storage, frozen might be the best way to go. You lose the texture, but flavor wise it will be as close to fresh as you will be able to get without actual fresh peppers. I freeze a lot of my jalapenos, bells and Caribbean reds for fresh flavor. Dried works too, but you lose that "freshness".

Back