• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking juanitos smoker

guess i'll just make a smoker flog so i don't have to post a separate topic every time.

may 20 2015 pork butt
10lb butt from the food pyramid butcher counter

using memphis dust plus salt, didn't have time to do it last night so did it right before i threw it in the smoker.

DJZxZoe.jpg

jTn5c4S.jpg

jsdRqBn.jpg

my wife got me a cappec digital timer / temp monitor, connects via bluetooth to smartphone.

NBnQHEx.jpg

tHDhZGc.jpg

LfVhs70.jpg

cappec is simple just plug the probes in and can set an alarm temp if you want.
connects via bluetooth to smartphone app so i don't actually have to go outside and look at it and don't have to have separate receiver like that one ^

Hit the stall, hopefully is done in 4 hours.

going to try not wrapping it today.

yqPL8wj.jpg

s76Gcb6.jpg

You going for Pulled Pork? I was thinking about trying another one this weekend my 1st attempt didn't pull to easy, Trying to sike myself up to running the fire for 8 to 10 hours lol

Gargoyle91 said:
You going for Pulled Pork? I was thinking about trying another one this weekend my 1st attempt didn't pull to easy, Trying to sike myself up to running the fire for 8 to 10 hours lol

Could go as long as 12 or more. Be ready for a full day or start the night before and go while you sleep.  I've had 2+ hours waits at 160ish before they come up.  And always pull when the meat is still hot, pulls way easier then.  Of course I think it tastes better the next day after I pour the defatted drippings and give it a good mix/shot of vinegar hot sauce.  ;)

SmokenFire said:

Could go as long as 12 or more. Be ready for a full day or start the night before and go while you sleep.  I've had 2+ hours waits at 160ish before they come up.  And always pull when the meat is still hot, pulls way easier then.  Of course I think it tastes better the next day after I pour the defatted drippings and give it a good mix/shot of vinegar hot sauce.   ;)
Nothing truer than the pull while hot and 12 hours is about normal for butts over 10 pounds. I bought those bear claws and they worked awesome allowing me to pull when it came right off the smoker...hurry up SATURDAY!!!!

SmokenFire said:

Could go as long as 12 or more. Be ready for a full day or start the night before and go while you sleep.  I've had 2+ hours waits at 160ish before they come up.  And always pull when the meat is still hot, pulls way easier then.  Of course I think it tastes better the next day after I pour the defatted drippings and give it a good mix/shot of vinegar hot sauce.   ;)

i wish I could start it at night while I sleep, My smoker is like an old coal driven locomotive got to constantly monitor the fire and vents to keep temp correct! I just cant bring myself to buy one of those new newfangled smokers :)

crack the lid and let her hit 350-400F for a few minutes to evaporate the water and get the show moving ...

i want bark, so i'll take extra heat over wrapping every time ...

that meat will get revitalized during my long rest, anyways ...

my next brisket is cooking at 325F ... i want better fat rendering, anyways ... that jiggle isn't my jam ...

Gargoyle91 said:

i wish I could start it at night while I sleep, My smoker is like an old coal driven locomotive got to constantly monitor the fire and vents to keep temp correct! I just cant bring myself to buy one of those new newfangled smokers :)

I felt exactly the same way you do; loved my old stick burner, we'd been through so many cooks together, great consistent results - all of that.  I'm lucky, a garbage truck missed the alley and crushed the back fence and my smoker/patio set about and the wife got it on video.  I took the settlement money and fixed the fence then bought the WSM.  And I am entirely pleased that I did.  I'm a convert now.  Sometimes technology advances really do work just as well as the tried and true methods.  :)

yeah going for pulled pork

i just want to try not wrapping it... i just looked at it again and its 175 so i guess it beat the stall.

yeah i want that bark grant, smokers at 270 atm. i heard people saying 300 is quicker and just as good yeah.

build a uds for 100$ that's what i'm using, holds temp perfectly, i set it up in the first 30 minutes, don't adjust anything till i'm done, dont need to refuel either. People win bbq competitions with them so you know they are good.

I really care not for handling large meat on the grill once it's been there a while ... and all that comes w/ it w/ the probes etc ...

Your unwrap makes your method acceptable to me, but I'm too lazy and genuinely like meat medium to medium-well, even, RIGHT NOW ...

I vacillate a bit on how cooked I like my meat ... it kind of ebbs and flows, and right now, I'm kind of preferring a little more chew, and a little less blood ...

Back