Rebuilding an old New Brunsfel

yup its only a $100 cooker new but i cant see somebody throwing something away that can be fixed for a few dollars to make cook like its new.

pretty rusty

15d7489.jpg

wood rotten

3d8o4.jpg

test fitting some wood ($4 for wood $3 for nuts and bolts)

2ziub02.jpg

maple stain (free, leftover from another project)

16atv0p.jpg

test fitting again

nl8vmc.jpg

stained and shellac'd

2qn4m6e.jpg

scratch coat of rust primer

11984gl.jpg

primer and test fit of boards, starting to look good enough to cook

2ib14wz.jpg

had to rebuild the bottom with some new sheet metal

15wx6h1.jpg

things still to do:

Final Paint
Install some expanded steel on the cooking grate
make a charcoal basket
install the new thermometer once it arrives
new lid handle
final assembly of the wood slats
build front door latch

cook

Good job. Its amazing what a little wood and paint will do. Now to reap the awards from your labor, and just in time for summer. 

Cool restoration man! I love to see old things most people would throw away be brought back to life. Wish we could see a before pic of the inside.

Grass Snake said:
Cool restoration man! I love to see old things most people would throw away be brought back to life. Wish we could see a before pic of the inside.
imagine a big hole...lmao

Handle is easy if you want it like old, very large dow or something like a shovel handle, you can buy unfinished ones at big box stores. Two holes later and right hardware done deal. 

The old one was a spring stove handle actually. I wouldn't be spending money on this since it is $100 brand new lol, what do you have laying around?

You know those cheap wood closet knobs for louvered closet doors? That would work perfectly and they are like 49 cents. Stain it and screw it on from the back. Put a matching size flat washer behind it to reduce some heat. Less than a dollar whole thing.

The Hot Pepper said:
The old one was a spring stove handle actually. I wouldn't be spending money on this since it is $100 brand new lol, what do you have laying around?

You know those cheap wood closet knobs for louvered closet doors? That would work perfectly and they are like 49 cents. Stain it and screw it on from the back. Put a matching size flat washer behind it to reduce some heat. Less than a dollar whole thing.
i went with a simple barrel bolt

2f03nys.jpg

I was thinking wood for heat but there's not a lot of opening that door while hot anyway.

Back