• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dollar Tree Air Pruning Pot

After reading some posts and watching some YouTube videos on the subject I thought I would give Air Pruning a try.

A quick trip to the local Dollar Tree and $2 later, this pot was ready.

The victim of choice was a orange habanero.

The plant really seems happy in its new home.

idrhx4.jpg

2rpg1fl.jpg

25014if.jpg

Three weeks and plenty of flower and a couple of pods.

2vdqhit.jpg

This... is kind of genius in a way.  I know that after a season of UV  exposure that PVC laundry basket will be very fragile, but if the plant isn't moved much what does it matter?  Further for $2 investment who would even care if it fell apart?

Bravo sir.

moruga welder said:
looks great ! what size pot is it ?

Judging by the amount of soil it took to fill compared to my 5 gallon bucket, I would say about a 7 gallon equivalent.

SavinaRed said:
is the concept of this to water from below ?

I have just been top watering, well actually mother nature has been top watering.  We have been getting rain just about every day for the last several weeks.  I may look into a bottom container and try some bottom watering later on this summer, I bought some oil drain pans from the same dollar tree and the basket should fit in it nicely. 

Streamer said:
Does the  $2 include the laundry bag?

Yes the bag and the basket were each a dollar.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Why not just use a fabric grow bag?

This was readily available at the store around the corner, and I just wanted to see how this would work.  My wife is the one who suggested the laundry bag after watching a YouTube video with me; and to have her take an interest in my hobby I was more than willing to give it a try.

ColdSmoke said:
Very innovative! my grow shop sells the 10 gallon g-light fabric containers for $5. Worth the extra investment IMO

$5 per 10 gal bag/pot is great! I found some good deals for 5 gal on amazon too, about 2.20 per, give or take. But if I do go BIG, I will just use these bags, I love it.

My hydro store only stocks the smart pots and they run high -ish
I think companies are realizing how easy it is to make these and smartpot already took their chunk of the market. I wouldn't be buying stock with them just yet though as I can see a decline happening. The prices on the smart pots on amazon are being cut by large percentages already.

I mean, shoot, you can buy some heavy fishing string, a few yards of fabric from the local fabric shop and you can have your own for incredibly cheap if you make enough of them to use up the materials. And they can be any size/shape you want!

This is a great idea- probably a bit easier to move then just a big grow bag! Also, bored children or unemployed arts majors could totally bedazzle that thing with some creatively braided cheap ribbon or twine. It might not look so pretty after a week outside but art is art, right? 

MrsHazel said:
This is a great idea- probably a bit easier to move then just a big grow bag! Also, bored children or unemployed arts majors could totally bedazzle that thing with some creatively braided cheap ribbon or twine. It might not look so pretty after a week outside but art is art, right? 

LOL, bedazzel, who needs tags right?

As far as moving, I did see a laundry hamper (cheap) at walmart with wheels fit to size of the laundry bags, could just shell the money out for the cart and the bags would be pennies on the dollar (refill bags) and just reuse the cart :) Then you can have 20+ gallons of soil AND be able to move it with ease. 

Back