• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense True Jamaican scotch bonnet seeds

I'm looking for a variety that is grown in or originated in Jamaica. ive heard that the moa are from the Jamaican ministry of agriculture but I'm not sure if that's true it just a marketing ploy. Ive read that beth(?) from peppermania had some called true Jamaican scotch bonnets, but it sounds like she passed away and the website is offline. One of my concerns is that the moa and other varieties I've seen on websites look huge, and I was under the impression scotch bonnets were small like habaneros..I could also just be way over thinking things...

this is the description from Peppermania's catalog:

Jamaican Scotch Bonnet; Jamaica: The King Pod for the infamouse Jerk sauces and seasonings. Very hot bonnet-like pods ripen from light green to a sunshine yellow-orange. 9-10 on the scale. Once of the MOST flavorable C chinense varieties and a m ust grow for the Chilehead. This is NOT the C. annuum “wanna be” often mistaken for Scotch Bonnet.

It was brought back from someone visiting Jamaica, that is why she called it Jamaican Scotch Bonnet(could have been Jim Duffy). She also carried the Foodrama version. other versions are TFM (The Fresh Market), i have my own version collected from a local grocer Basha's. i think the landrace bonnet was getting watered down to produce faster growing and more tolerant version, thus why the ministry stepped in to save the landrace.

I would think you would want the MOA, that would be the true bonnet, jamaican government sanctioned, cleaned up to keep the purity of the scotch bonnet from jamaica. some overlap of Jim Duffy's description could be that Peppermania grew theirs out from Jim.

here is a picture of a pod, i still have a plant and the pods are flavourful and have a sweetness with manageable heat(less than an orange hab):

Someone is sending me some moa, but still looking for peppermania Jamaican scotch bonnet. The one in burning colons pic looks tasty

It could definitely be one of the Jamaican strains. Again I'm not sure how it was acquired and when I was on Jamaica the bonnets I saw were orange in color. Guess I'm just feeling nostalgic and color biased lol

Check out semillas.de for many nice bonnet types.
I've grown his TFM a couple seasons ago and they look, taste and smell REAL to me (sorry for the bad pic):

I've asked many people but no one told me how MOA is supposed to be better or 'realest'.

Cya

Datil

Spicy Mushroom said:
You can get them [MOA] from Pepperlover but it's currently out of stock:

http://www.pepperlover.com/pepper-seeds/pepper-species/capsicum-chinense/moa-scotch-bonnet,-detail

Semillas.de has some Foodarama Scotch Bonnet seeds. They are supposed to be quite good. Also the Jamaican Scotch Bonnet TFM "true form".
Peter's True Form (TFM) are in fact MoA ... a couple of seasons ago I wrote to him and asked if TFM stood for "Trenton Farmers Market" he said no but that he had received the seeds probably from a forum member and they were described as the truest form ... on this season's glog he states that he sowed in November last year both Yellow and Red MoA

Back