• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Apple Smoked Yellow Brainstrain Apple Jam

I've been experimenting with making some hot jellies/jams lately. This one turned out pretty good. It's based on the apple recipe that comes in the box of Ball liquid pectin, but I changed a few things.

4.7 oz - Frozen Yellow Brainstrain (this is just what happened to be in the vacuum bag I opened)
2 pouches - Liquid pectin
5.5 cups - white sugar
2 cups - brown sugar
4 pounds - Apples ( I used granny smith )
3 Tbs - Lemon juice

Peppers smoked with apple wood
VyJT1fml.jpg

ufa59V0l.jpg

I chopped up the apples into large chunks and added about 5 cups of water, simmered for 10 minutes covered. Crushed, then simmered for 5 more minutes.

kKC5Jiul.jpg

I used a sieve to strain it out, but wasn't very efficient, ending up picking the peels and seeds out with a tong. I saved some of the pulp and peel to blend in with the peppers.

I used 5 cups of the prepared apple juice/sauce.

B7WnV1xl.jpg

I added the sugar.

MJSXbAwl.jpg

Blended put the pepper/lemon juice/apple leftovers and added to mix.

pryRZuXl.jpg

I brought to a rolling boil, and added a pouch of pectin, and boiled for one minute. The ball recipe only calls for one pouch, and given the natural pectin in the apples, seems like it would be enough. I did a set test * and it wasn't ready. I boiled for five more minutes and tested again. It was a little better but I didn't want to chance it. I added another pouch, and boiled for five more minutes. Then I jarred, and hot water bath processed. I ended up with nine 1/2 pint jars and a little left over.

CIcH4anl.jpg

41NdLQol.jpg

I tastes good. It's not so hot that you can't eat it like any other jelly, but it does have a nice kick.  I've been putting it on ice cream, bagels/cream cheese and buttered toast so far. You can really smell the smoked peppers when you open it.

* Set test instructions. Put a plate in the freezer for 15 minutes. When you test, pull the plate out and smooth out about a teaspoon of the jam on to the plate. Wait 30-60 seconds. Push your finger through the mix. If it's going to set it should hold and not fill back in where your finger went. I found a demonstration on Youtube.

moruga welder said:
looks and sounds Delish my friend !      :onfire:

SpicyMon said:
Looks good Peter!  :dance:

bhut camp said:
Excellent, looks delicious!

megahot said:
That sounds really good!

Scorched said:
I'll bet that's damn tasty

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Going to try it out on folks at work today. Also bringing a hot strawberry jelly and first batch of fermented processed sauce I've ever made. Should be a hot lunch.

Thanks for sharing. I've just found a source of free apples, so I will be trying this recipe!

I haven't any brainstrains (yet), so I'm thinking of using Morugas or Chocolate Bhuts.

Back