• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Mulching Onions

Have read and been told this is a horrible idea and that it promotes rot, but I do it every year and it works great.  I til the heck out the dirt and let it bake so there are zero visible weeds.  Then I plant the onion, let the first batch of weeds get to maybe five inches, pull the weeds, and lay them between the onions as mulch.  Rarely do I get rot, but it has been dry here for a few years.

Also curious: Does anyone know if there is truth to pinching off the blooms to promote larger onions?  I do not recall not doing it, so nothing to compare.  Thing is, I am starting to wonder if it isn't like other traditions where we just kind of roll with it.  I guess it doesnt much matter as those blooms and maybe some thin green onions are an enjoyed first harvest.

my onions never bloom what type are you growing? I have grown red candy and spanish onions and when they are a little smaller than my fist I pull them or if skin on top is drying out and let the out side dry a bit till I need them. Never had a flower. IDK about mulching but you usually want the top exposed about 1/4 to 1/2. 

LUCKYDOG said:
what type are you growing? I have grown red candy and spanish onions and when they are a little smaller than my fist I pull them or if skin on top is drying out and let the out side dry a bit till I need them. Never had a flower I dont leave them in that long. IDK about mulching but you usually want the top exposed about 1/4 to 1/2. 

It depends on your climate. My climate is very wet and I'm pretty sure they would rot with in week, Though I can imagine that it would actually work great in dryer areas. Just make sure you don't use moldy mulch.

No mulch for my onions, I don't really see the need either. My onions don't bloom. I grow various types of yellow and red storage onions from seed. Maybe they bloom if you start from sets. IDK.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not an expert. But, if you're onions are going to seed, they are over wintered or second year bulbs. I've harvested some early over wintered for scallion, but I think the rest may be too tough to eat later in the year. Just my opinion!

If I'm wrong I'd like hear how to harvest this batch of onions planted last fall. Thanks in advance.

Jef H - How do you grow onion from seed?  I've read that you grow the set the first year and then save it for next year.  If that is true, can they be over wintered so you get a crop from seed every two years without pulling them up?  I just buy sets by the pound and have at it.

Luckydog - No clue what the actual types are.  The feed stores here just put out bushel baskets of sets each year and label them as red, white, yellow, and sweet.  Half the time the only ones to have that label are the sweet.  Have asked and I just get slack jaw.  So since not seed saving onions, just gave up and call them red, white, yellow, and sweet.

Pfeffer - I do think that gardening advice given for one area gets handed down to folk who move to other areas.  That and climate does change year to year.  I dont think we have hit official drought in the last couple, but we have been there and will be again.  We seem to be fairly dry here after spring is done.

Back