• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Sambal, Surinamese style

If you guys don't know what 'sambal' is, check the link I posted before : 

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/47906-sambal-bonanza/?hl=sambal 

Today we're going to make some super scrumptuous Surinamese sambal. 

This bright yellow condiment is very different, absolutely delicious and works extremely well on rice dishes, roti, fish, cheese sandwiches even. Hell you can put it on erry thang. 

What you need : 

- jar of picalilly
- oil (sunflower)
- 2 tblsp. sugar (brown sugar or palm sugar) 
- onions
- garlic
- um, peppers, Typically Madame Jeanettes or Aji Uma's, strains (indiginous to Suriname) are used, but yellow habs, fataliis would work fine, or even Yellow 7-pods to put some serious whomp in there. 

Finely chop (or better yet : blend) garlic, onion and peppers to taste. Put aside.
Heat oil. When hot, chuck in 2 tblspoon sugar and stir continuously. DO NOT LET THE SUGAR CARAMELLIZE, it just has to almost dissolve.
Lower heat, chuck in the blended / chopped onion-garlic-chilli mixture. Fry for about a minute, not longer. 
Add the entire jar of picalilly, stir. Let it cool off. 

That's it baby ! Enjoy. 

942311_597734667024691_2214857258576788588_n.jpg

AaronTT said:
Does anyone have a recipe for the picalilli? Or specific brand? Looks great!
Picalilly in jars is widely available on this end...

It's made of pickles (note : European pickles are NOT NEARLY as salty as dill pickles sold in the US but MUCH sweeter), pickled baby onions, cauliflower, mustard and vinegar.  

Sluggy said:
Picalilly in jars is widely available on this end...

It's made of pickles (note : European pickles are NOT NEARLY as salty as dill pickles sold in the US but MUCH sweeter), pickled baby onions, cauliflower, mustard and vinegar.  
Nice. I make pickles, so I  will just add some.  Sounds like the Sambal tastes great, thanks for posting the recipe.

I heard Ralph say piccalilli once on The Honeymooners. Think it was on hot dog. Always stuck with me for some reason lol. I thought it was some old term for relish. Seems to be an English version of Indian pickle. Cool.

This look great!

Ah yes there is such a thing here...

In the Northeastern United States, commercial piccalillis are based on diced sweet peppers, either red or green. This style is somewhat similar to sweet pepper relish, with the piccalilli being distinguished by having a darker red or green color and like British piccalilli, the chunks are larger and it is slightly sweeter. It is a popular topping on such foods as hamburgers and hot dogs. Traditional, British-style yellow piccalilli is also available.

In the Midwestern United States, commercial piccalillis are based on finely chopped gherkins; bright green and on the sweet side, they are often used as a condiment for Chicago-style hot dogs. This style is sometimes called "neon relish".

In the Southern United States, piccalilli is not commonly served. In its place, chow-chow, a relish with a base of chopped green (unripe) tomatoes is offered. This relish may also include onions, bell peppers, cabbage, green beans and other vegetables. While not exactly similar to other piccalillis, chow-chow is often called as such and the terms may be used interchangeably. Piccalilli is uncommon in the Western United States.

Back