• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2 Peppers 1 pot, 1 much smaller... Suggestions?

Hi all!

I have 2 habanero growing in one pot, one is much smaller than the other, about 4 inches, the other is getting larger, probably 12 inches right now.

They are right next to each other, and I'm curious should I cut down the smaller one to allow the larger one more growth potential? 

ALSO, they are starting to flower but I want to wait a bit before pollination occurs, it might be too late now but should I cut the flowers off until it grows larger?

It's indoor and get sun for the better (later) half of the day. I'm in CA so it gets a lot but not as much as an outdoor obviously.

Here's a picture of the setup.
http://postimg.org/image/4gkps50s5/

Thanks BamsBBQ! Good to be here.

The pot is about 3-4 gallons I think.

Also, should I cut the flowers off to delay pollination if I want it to grow larger first?

---------------

EDIT: As per your advice, I cut the small one out. I also cut off the flowers as I've read that doing so even as late as June-July can help to allow the plant to grow larger and give a better yield. She's still too small to start making peppers, and I want a big yield :)

Something to think about for the future…. Some people intentionally grow more than one plant very close together in a single pot. The theory is that the combined leaf canopy will provide more cover for the developing pods, hence actually increasing yield/pod size. I have not done this myself, but have seen photos and videos of some and can tell you they were very successful. (Neil of The Hippy Seed Co. has an example in one of his videos.) The plants were very robust and chock-full of pods. This is something I think about experimenting with at some point, myself. Hmm… now that this post has reminded me of it, maybe I'll start some jalapeño seeds right now, just to try this out!

Long story short - "conventional" wisdom isn't always 100% reliable.

geeme said:
Something to think about for the future…. Some people intentionally grow more than one plant very close together in a single pot. The theory is that the combined leaf canopy will provide more cover for the developing pods, hence actually increasing yield/pod size. I have not done this myself, but have seen photos and videos of some and can tell you they were very successful. (Neil of The Hippy Seed Co. has an example in one of his videos.) The plants were very robust and chock-full of pods. This is something I think about experimenting with at some point, myself. Hmm… now that this post has reminded me of it, maybe I'll start some jalapeño seeds right now, just to try this out!

Ah, cool beans!  I am doing a little bit of messing about with the idea this year.  Semi newbishness follows:
This year I am trying most of my peppers 2 each to a 5 gallon bucket.  There is plenty of "conventional wisdom"  that would advise otherwise, but I learn better by making my own mistakes!  So in the interest of just screwing around I have 6 strains all growing with 2-3 plants per each.  Some I left close together growing up.  Some I sort of took my own take on Low Stress Training and pulled them away from each other with twine (trying to get more light per leaf surface are).  One I left one alone and twined it's pot mate away at an angle, and the rest I lefts as a control group to do their thing.  I understand because they are not all the same strain, it is not really that scientific.  I pretty much did it for "huh...I wonder" reasons.  Curious to see if anything is more now, less later. visa versa, or undetermined.   So I still have plenty of time to screw this up, and have been having some pest battles which take their toll on the plants.  In any event I have been taking photos fairly often for my own personal reference.  
http://i.imgur.com/it5Pmf9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8dp5feD.jpg
Any thoughts and criticism are welcome.  It's for the cause!  

PS, what is the syntax for posting imgur links so they are view able?  Sorry for the noobishness.

geeme said:

Happy to see this considering I have an abundance of plants this year and not enough buckets! I have some growing 2 in a 5 or 7 gallon bucket. One bucket I gave a cayenne and a golden cayenne together and the golden seems to be taking control.

Interesting comments, I will have to try it next time I plant some seedlings... And nice plants Jerry!

I am curious, since I am going the bud picking route for now, when would you recommend to stop picking them off? 

Back