• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Transplanting into hydroponics from soil

Hello everyone. I was hoping to keep this topic separate from my other hydroponic growing thread.

Does anyone know about how to go about transferring a soil grown plant into a hydroponic setup? More specifically ones that are about 2+ years old and has a true trunk, about a couple inches thick.

If it's not possible to simply transplant the plant and roots into hydro, is there any type of process to convert soil based plants to hydro using the current medium? Any and all info that you may have is appreciated, thank you!

I'm looking to start a pepper growing business along with several other projects that are apart of a study for college. Thanks again everyone.

Granted, I have never done this with a plant 2 years old...
But on smaller sized plants I have soaked the root mass in water to loosen it up, and then rinse it as thoroughly as possible with a hose with some pressure.
And then, plop it into your hydro setup.
I wouldn't give it too much full sun for a little while, because the root cleaning process could cause a good bit of trauma.

What type of hydroponic setup is this going to be?

I have completely removed all the soil from the roots on a large plant last year with very minimal damage. Like pepper_rancher stated.
This is how I did it: I filled a kiddie pool with water, pulled the 4 gallon root ball out, held my hands under the root ball always, gently move the ball up and down and side to side very slow. The soil will start releasing more and more, once lots of the soil releases you may be able to keep one hand under. Continue until all is gone. Your biggest issue will be the perlite being stuck or resticking to the roots, so once it gets lighter, use one hand to remove soil/perlite from the surface of the water.

You can do it!

Bump. Wanting to make sure if anyone else has anything to add. More looking for how to actually place a plant and roots into the hydro medium.

What is your hydro medium? If it's clay pebbles then you place the roots in and through the net pot if possible and poor hydroton (clay pebbles) to the very top.

A large plant with a large root mass will more than likely give you a hard time in staying upright without some support system.

With a large plant the roots may experience some die off and you may see your plant start to wilt. Don't freak out its ok. If your nutes and oxygen levels are correct the roots will slowly start to grow back. The new root system will be too small at first to intake enough water so the plant wilts, but it will not die. Once the root mass gets big enough it will continue growing normally.

I have had so many of my plants roots dried out from being knocked over, storms, etc. Gallon sized root balls turned to complete mush for 3 or 4 ft tall plants. The roots always grow back everytime and the plant continued to grow normally.

Back