• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Have you ever used electronic digital smart BBQ meat thermometer fork

Have you ever used digital BBQ thermometer fork that has temperature reading functions? It has alarm beeps when your meat is perfect. It is so smart that It comes preprogrammed for (beef, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey) and 4 doneness levels (rare, medium rare, medium, and well done). I haven't bought one but I am very interested in it. Can anyone give any idea or using experience?
01_10_9.jpg

I bought one just like that for my mom about 15 years ago. It was a cheap piece of crap, and sat untouched in a drawer for years. A plain ol' regular meat thermometer is much better IMO.

Nope but I do use a Thermapen, super quick readout. I prefer to know exactly what temperature I am at. Thing has been through hell and back between stormy wet bbq competitions, drops to concrete, etc. It's been great. I also use it to test soil temps in the spring, don't tell the wife ;)
euviIVa.jpg

I wouldnt want to poke it all the time to figure out temps letting juices out. I stick a a digital probe in and forget it till temp is where I want it. Steaks and such I time it or do it by feel.

Thermapen. From Thanksgiving turkey, to a Prime Rib or chicken breast on the grill. It allows you to bring meats off at the right temp. Wife bought them for all our kids last year. To answer your question, I have not had any experience with grill forks.  I used to use the probes.  My reco is the Thermapen.  Pricey but you will love it for all you do.  See I even used it for hot sauce making. I do the feel thing like LuckyDog on my steaks.  Bigger hunks when  you need to get to the center near a bone the T.P. works great with the long probe.  Not affiliated with the product. Good luck on whatever you decide!  /Jim

iTkf5Grt.jpg

Back