• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

ID This Plant?

Four of these big plants popped up in the wild part of my yard - immediately to the side and behind the detached garage. The wild part is kind of a demarcation between properties on the back side. It's a very shady area between the proximity of the garages and the large trees in my neighbor's yard the area gets only minimal light. Grass won't grow there.  I only rarely go back there and only went this time because my son noticed these plants that popped up, which have never been there before. There are four of them, two to the side of the garage and two immediately behind. I am guessing they came from seeds either buried by the squirrels/chipmunks/whatever or got dropped from birds/deer/whatever. The leaves are quite large, with the largest probably as long as the length between my elbow and the tip of my middle finger.

P1010956.JPG

P1010957.JPG

Any ideas what this is?

This is in N.E. Ohio, so whatever it is likely handles cold well, in addition to shade.

I don't know, but I have them in Connecticut also. They don't really do much. The closest thing I could find in appearance is an annoying pest plant, which these definitely aren't.

yes it is burdock. if you leave it, it will grow a pretty purple bulb that will then expand into a burr and will latch onto everything that touches it, including dog/ cat coats and it really loves socks. it grows a deep tap root that resembles horseradish.

the burr was the insight into the creation of velcro.

you can eat the root, i would not recommend it, because it tastes like dirt. but in traditional medicine they use it as a diuretic, blood purifier and the leaves can be used for skin issues like bruising. it is suppose to assist those with liver issues. you can make a tea out of the dried root and it has a similar taste to bitter/earthy ginseng.

you can find processed bottled tablets in any store pharmacy section.

i would dig it up, put it into a bag and toss it into the garbage, wouldn't even attempt to compost it to avoid it from spreading. it grows everywhere in my cold harsh environment. 

Lovely. Just lovely. NOT! So really you're saying we need to get our torch out, which will happen this weekend. No problem, mon!

Thanks much for your quick replies!

Back