• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Jalapeno growing question...

When Jalapeno pods start to form, do they come out long and skinny with a slight curve and then thicken up or?

I'll try and get a pic of mine, but it's raining here atm.

Some of mine have been doing that. Getting around two and a half inches and very skinny then thickening up. I wouldnt worry about it.

Yah Chiliac, it was seeing your pics this morning that brought it to mind!

My jalapenos look more like your joe long then anything else. Except even skinnier.

Seemed odd... Once it's not raining too hard I'll snap some pics. If I took the camera out now I'd probably ruin it.

Hm, never seen Jalapenos do that tbh. Seeing some pics would be helpful indeed. The Joe's Long are very slim and I can hardly picture a Jalapeno looking like that. :)

I've always grown the same variety, maybe yours is just different.... And Millworkman obviously backed up what you were saying.

OK, finally got some pics:

jala1.jpg

jala2.jpg

Is that normal?

Sorry lost mind. Those will probably be good, but it is hard to top the flavor of jalapenos.

I don't know where you are, but here, Krogers has jalapenos for like 10 cents a pound.

It kinda takes the fun out of growing them, but I still do ;).

Yeah, what everyone else said, those are not jalapenos. Mine are only growing about two or three inches long and skinny then fattening up before ripening.

That's what I get for buying a nursery grown plant! :)

It's my largest plant too. But oh well. We do get jalapeno's here BUT they always taste like green bell peppers, never an ounce of heat or that jalapeno flavour.

Next year I am growing me some jalapeno's.... somehow!

(off to set my profile to display my location, I swear I have done it already!)

lostmind said:
That's what I get for buying a nursery grown plant! :)

It's my largest plant too. But oh well. We do get jalapeno's here BUT they always taste like green bell peppers, never an ounce of heat or that jalapeno flavour.

Next year I am growing me some jalapeno's.... somehow!

(off to set my profile to display my location, I swear I have done it already!)

Hey never mind buddy im sure you'll like the taste..and its a nice healthy plant to..grow some Serranos with your jals next year..you wont regret it ;)

Ide contact the nursery where you purchased the plant and explain the situation and their incompetence. I expect you could wangle a few free Jal seeds off them for next season. Tell them you were looking forward to trying your own organic home grown Jals but now your stuck with cayennes. Make em feel really guilty.

Back