misc Nutrition Facts

Hello everyone!

I've been messing around with some labels for my sauce with pixelmator.  I'm not licensed or anything.  But I want to implement the nutrition facts on my labels.

I'm sitting here scratching my head, surfing the net, trying to figure out how to get an idea what my nutrition facts are.  Vitamin percentages and calories etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to try and obtain this information?

Thanks in advance!

Carlo

you NEED to go to a labratory and have it tested. 

DO NOT i repeat DO NOT try to figure it out online.  The reason these facts are there is so that people can rely on it when they purchase it due to blood sugars, allergens, etc.  If you make it up (which essentially you will be doing if you try to figure it out yourself) people can get seriously hurt and you could get sued.

In my province, in Canada, it costs roughly between $700-$1000 per sauce, per sauce type ($750 for hot, $750 for mild is what I paid for my two).

Please, do not try to cheap out on this point. 

If the recipe is figured out with grams etc to exacting measurements, you do not need to pay $$$ for a NIP.  there are some very accurate websites that can calculate it for you.  I've use the New Zealand one several years ago for a product I was copackign for an Australian company.  It can be used for US measurements also, just need to convert jules to calories.

Check out this thread that has links to some good calc websites.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53391-nutritional-info-for-hot-sauce-labels/

PS- the facility I use for my Process Authority will do NIPs, and probably for about $150.  I'd have to verify that, I'm going from memory.  I just know it wasn't $750.  Shop around.  There are other places than food labs that do NIPs.

Thanks for the replies!  Yeah Im just an amateur when it comes to making my hot sauce.  I have a career that doesn't involve the food business.  Its just a hobby/passion that maybe one day i can get into for an income.  Until then I'm just working on different recipes, and getting feedback from friends and co-workers.  My next step would be to try to get into the farmer market next season.  So spending $750 per recipe is out of the question.  I have 4 recipes now, and I'm not making any income off of them.  Honestly maybe I'll just skip the nutritional facts on my labels, and just list the ingredients instead.   I live in Michigan, and I don't think I've seen any detailed labels at the markets.  Usually white paper and a sharpe.  I just like to do things like this precise and professional so while I'm creating these labels, I figured I'd try to put nutritional facts on them now, before I print them.

Thanks!

Carlo

Hey Carlo,

Sounds like you are working on things the right way.  Get your recipes dialed in to the gram, get an accurate digital scale and use weights for everything, including liquids.  Once you are happy with the consistant and repeatable results, move on to the next step.

Rules and Regs differe from state to state, so follow what your locale requires for licensing, etc.  Your farmers market can probably direct you to the first people to talk to with your local health authority. 

As far as NIPs and ingredients-
(again, this may vary by state but for us in Washington) if you are selling directly to the customer, such as at a FM, you do not need any information at all on the label.  You don't even NEED a label.  Theory being is that if a customer has a qujestion, they can ask you right there.  When a product is on a shelf at a store, they can't ask the maker directly so all the perts need to be on the label.  Having the paper/sharpie signs at the FM help in that the vendor doesn't have to answer the same question of "what's in your hot sauce" a thousand times a day.

NIPs are NOT REQUIRED!!!  yes, they are beneficial, but if you can't get it done by the time you get legal and such, you can file a free yearly exemption with the FDA.  You can use some of the free websites linked in the thread posted above.  For FM, you could even work up the NIP, print it and laminate it.  When customers ask, just hand them the laminated card to read.  Should suffice for them to know if the salt content works with their heart healthy diet. :)

Salsalady,

Once again you provided me with such great information!   I appreciate it very much.  I definitely need to invest in a digital scale for consistency in weight.  I do use weight now, but I have been using those old school scales.  Oh wow even measure the liquids in weight?  Hmmm I've always used liquid units!  But I will definitely start using weight for that as well instead of volume!  If I think of anything else that I need some advice on, I will definitely ask.  Thanks again!

Carlo 

Side note about measurements-

For bulk things like gallons of vinegar etc, I do both.  Sometimes weigh it out, sometimes use the gallon measure.  It depends on the situation.  When using gallons of vinegar, I measure out the vinegar from the plastic jugs into the measure cup.  The gallons always have 1/2 - 3/4 cup more.  When using 6 gallons of vinegar, that extra could be 3-4.5 cups more, could effect the consistency of the sauce.

Back