• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New Grower Here Carolina Reaper Peppers!

Hello everyone Alan here from WV! 
I am a green horn grower. I'm trying to grow the hottest Carolina reaper peppers I can! I planted the seeds on May 7th.
MY GROW 
9znfgz.jpg

On May 16th I had my first sprout-ling.  in the next few days 2 more sprouted.
First Sprout-ling
8wbm87.jpg

Second Sprout-ling
do3wpl.jpg

These are the 3 Plants today. I was wondering do there growth look like they are on track for plants 2 and a half weeks old? Also the one still in the small cup is about a week old.
b46fs9.jpg

25slpgw.jpg

w71w7n.jpg

33peqtw.jpg

I also just wanted to add the two plants in the red solo cups kind of got hurt. My timer malfunctioned and for about 4 days they had lights directly on 24/7
My light Schedule Now is 8 Hours Dark and 16 Hours Light.
They get watered with the two cup method. The cup the soil is in has several holes in the bottom. I put water in a second cup and set the cup with the plant into the cup with water every 2 days. I use a small amount of water. I also mist the plants once a day with water. I use bottled water to water them.
The lights im using are two of these.
 Mudder® E27 5W LED Grow Light  
The soil is Miracle-Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix.
AM I doing the light schedule and watering right? 
I also wanted to know is there anyway to make the peppers come out on the upper end of the scoville scale for these peppers?
When Do I need to start worrying about plant food like moon dust and bone meal?
​Also the temp in the room fluctuates from daytime 80-85 and night time 73-78.

:welcome:

All superhot peppers can be really slow starters so they are probably fine.  The issue you may have is the late start.  Might need to plan on finishing off the season indoors also as you may not have ripe pods before first frost/freeze in your area.

welcome, everything you're is pretty good.

1. maybe move the lights closer, like 4 inches away if you can get a good spread. You may need to get another light as they get bigger.
2. yes the schedule is good 18on, 6off
3. let the soil dry a bit before watering again, maybe 4 days between water.
4. it is a bit controversial about making a pepper go for higher scovi since no one tests their peppers / has done an experiment. it is thought that holding back water (simulated drought) will make them hotter but it's not proven.
5. that temp is good. try to keep below 95 / 100
6. miraclegro potting mix already has fertilizers in it, i would wait until the plant is 6 in or a foot tall before ferting it too aggressively.

Thank you guys! Smoking Hot thank you for your response will do that with the lights! Also Heating up this is strictly an indoor grow. I'm surprised I haven't been messed with by the cops. I live on the second floor in an apartment. I have my grow in the back room and at night you can see the purple grow light through both of my windows in the back room from far away. I have nosey neighbors as well lol

Man I have fungus Gnats!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im not gonna water them again for 4 days or so and let the soil dry out. I already put a jar with holes in the top back there with white vinegar and lemon in it to catch the adult gnats. I read that if you mix 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide and 4 parts water and pour it in the soil it will kill the larva. Will this work? Dont wanna kill my plants!

What I found that works wonders is to get a package of mosquito dunks.  The little doughnut shaped disks.  Crush one and add it to a gallon of water and let it sit overnight.  I read that using dechlorinated water works the best.  Water the plants with that.  Also use some of the crushed pellets and place them on top of the soil.

Also add a drop of dish soap to your vinegar water in your trap.  It prevents them from escaping even better.

Back