• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Upstate New York Growing?

Hello still a big newbie here.  I just moved from central Florida to Upstate New York.  I was wondering how many people on here are growing in the upstate area.  I have a couple plants started.  Started from seeds they are currently in solo cups.  I started very late, but I was wondering if anyone has any good advice for growing in this crazy upstate New York weather.  I plan on using pots and soil when the plants grow large enough to transplant to large pots.  Any advice for this region would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
James

Growing 50 plants with about 45 being very hot and 5 being mild or no heat at all. Really rainy for the last four days with no sun so hope it warms up the rest of the week.

I went very small for my first run in upstate Jackson13.  I have about 4 Carolina reapers 4 brown morugas and 3 jalapenos.  I am not too far from you.  When did you start them this season?  I started very late as in they just where placed in solo cups.  My son last minute decided he wanted to grow something, and had these seeds sitting around from what I had from Florida.  So I gave it the good old college try for my first time growing around here.

First week in February but I had them in too small of a container all their time, Next winter will try 4 or 5 inch pots.

Pots and earthboxe's. Last year tried a small garden and only the cucumbers grew because the soil has alot of clay in it.

Welcome to New York where you can experience all 4 seasons in the same week! I'm from the Ithaca area and if your soil is anything like mine you are best planting in buckets or raised beds. Pretty much find a good spot where the plants will get sun all day and let them do their thing. This year is my second year growing (first successful). And start those seedlings for next season early! I usually start mine a the end of December. Good luck on your grow!

Thank you twice the spice I knew I was late on the season but next year we will start nice and early. What are you using for lighting until the last frost?

JamesMiller said:
Utica/Rome area sicman.
One of my favorite memories from childhood was going to Rome to pick apples. The whole family would pile in a couple cars and go spend the day.

sicman said:
One of my favorite memories from childhood was going to Rome to pick apples. The whole family would pile in a couple cars and go spend the day.
I grew up in the area my whole life was in Florida for a short period of time.  Apple season is huge in the upstate area.  Love all the homemade apple goods.

JamesMiller said:
Thank you twice the spice I knew I was late on the season but next year we will start nice and early. What are you using for lighting until the last frost?
better late then never! I used a 6 bulb t5 grow light and it worked very well. Whenever the weather was nice enough for them outdoors during the day I would just put them outside for free light (after hardening the plants off).

I started them in pellets and transferred them too solo cups once I seen hooks or a first set of leaves and been keeping them outdoors when it's nice out if not I throw them under a fluorescent bulb. Just a test run I suppose see where they go.

They should do well! Make sure if they've been inside for a few days that you slowly introduce them back to the sunlight or else the new growth that hasn't been exposed to the sun will burn, it doesn't sound like you'll have that problem though. I might try LED next year but t5 HO bulbs have worked great for me.

The only light they really have had was natural sun and some fluorescent for a few hours at night for a little extra light because the past few days have been cloudy, cold, and rainy. About how many plants will one bulb cover?

The fixture itself covered 15 plants for me pretty easy, up until they were in their 5 gallon buckets. I'd say each fixture should do about 15-20 plants depending on your set up and pot size.

Back