Cinder Block Pig Roaster

For my birthday this year, i am cooking a whole pig...this is what we are going to cook it on.

I will break it in this weekend to see how it cooks before i cook a whole hog on it next Saturday

vzepvp.jpg

20izard.jpg

4rbwvb.jpg

b69bx3.jpg

2wgaw6r.jpg

2iardwo.jpg

abmq8g.jpg

w2f4nc.jpg

Looks great! I really want to see that in action! You gonna use something for a lid, or just leave it open? Sheet of plywood lined with aluminum sheeting, maybe?

very cool... the sideways blocks at the bottom I assume are for air,  do you have mesh on the inside to contain the coals???    what will you use to adjust them, plywood with tinfoil also? 

Test fire happening tomorrow. Like most charcoal smokers, heat is controlled by air intake.

The sideways blocks are for easy access to add charcoal and wood. There will be some kind of grate for the ashes but adding 5 lbs of burning charcoal every hour or so will quickly ash up.

Everything I see is a squirrel cage fan from a good time ;)

One other question - can it flood? ... this type of cooking is not popular in my area, so I'm genuinely curious ...

grantmichaels said:
Everything I see is a squirrel cage fan from a good time ;)

One other question - can it flood? ... this type of cooking is not popular in my area, so I'm genuinely curious ...

I'm not sure if it can flood...i would assume so. That's one reason why i put down stone tiles for the coals to sit on. You can kind of see the red in the corner. I can't remember what this rig cost, but I think a caja china is 200. Produces good stuff though. Funny thing, it actually rained while cooking the pig though, hence the blue tarp haha

Re the original one... it looks a little narrow, usually seen a two block span like the one above... so you can fit the hog... like this:

cinder_block_hog.jpg

He's scaled it down 1/2 brick in both directions, which seems like it will be fine (to me) ...

I think the feet would still cook even if they were over the bricks because the brick material is providing radiant heat, which is more efficient than convective ...

I'd love to have the shed on the slab out back dragged away to repurpose the slab for Q ... but it's a rental.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
There are so may out right now...cannot wait to see you cook on it!
I have a feeling that the sheet metal slide damper he used was probably hazardously hot 
The Hot Pepper said:
Re the original one... it looks a little narrow, usually seen a two block span like the one above... so you can fit the hog... like this:

attachicon.gif
cinder_block_hog.jpg

I'd also worry about the following: I'm not sure what method you're going to do with the pig, but if you're going to put it on the grate you have, you're going to want to flip it in the last part of cooking to get the skin cooked/crackled. That's why we used a makeshift gurney. I wouldn't want to reach down and have an unstable pig fall apart during the flip, that would suck

Just had a tooth pulled so i am loopy and all over.

Sure it can flood, we live in Sacramento CA no worries about that. Lol

There will be 2-3 layer of sand to keep the pad from cracking.

If the pig falls apart while flipping, you have cooked to hot and too fast. We have bbq heat resistant gloves. I am 260 lbs, my helper is 300. We can handle a less than 50 lb pig dressed. There will be no head or feet this time.

You really have to build your pit to suit your hog, if we need bigger we will just rebuild, takes about 10 minutes with 2 of us.

test cook today...

1 full charcoal chimney plus a little more to get it up to 225*F and it climbed to 250 and held there for over an hours.... after that time i added half a chimney of charcoal and 4 hours later it is still at 225.

3501kj4.jpg

smoked scotch eggs

2chmfmc.jpg

this is at grate level

346vo1v.jpg

couple hours later, we have these

118jccz.jpg

I used pecan wood as the smoking wood...this cooker is good for a very mild smoke flavor which is good when roasting a pig...this was a success...the only thing i am going to do next time is get a bigger piece of wood for the top.

Back